eight

□

She woke the following morning to rain. She took her hooded cloak from inside the pouch and hurriedly put it on. She turned quickly, hearing Annet let out a growl.

"Who is there?" She asks sternly before seeing Fili slowly approaching, fear in his eyes.

"Thorin told me to get you." He whispered, never taking his eyes off the dragon staring him down.

She laughed before walking toward the short man. "She is the nicest dragon you'll ever meet." He shook his head, still not looking at her.

"Come here." She beckoned him closer as Annet laid back down to the dwarf's level. "I don't think I should." He said, but she shook her head.

She gently took his hand and placed it on Annet's snout. She softly moved into a petting motion.

"See, she is not so bad." She told him, taking her hand off his. Fili kept his hand on the dragon as he felt his fear and panic leave him.

"Are you as scared of her as you once were?" She asked as he slowly took his hand off the dragon. She smiled, seeing him shake his head.

"Good, there is nothing to fear from Annet. I promise you that." She tells him as he looks up at her. He smiled as she smiled.

"Tell Thorin I will be taking Annet to the skies." She tells him, making her way to the saddle.

Fili watched in awe as he saw her climb the dragon's back. She looked more comfortable there than on a horse.

"Would that not be more dangerous?" He asked, watching her put her riding gloves on.

"I would rather be with something I trust than don't. Especially in this weather." She tells him, and he slowly nods.

"She won't chase after you. You can return to them." She smiled and watched him nod before he left where he came.

"Orta!" She shouted, and Annet leaped into the air. She smiled, feeling the happiness of the air in her hair. It was refreshing not to be on a horse.

From the side of the mountain, the Dwarves and Hobbit looked on with wide eyes. Gandalf smiled, seeing Annet take to the skies.

She followed after the company as she kept an eye ahead of them. "Do you think this is the right thing?" She asked Annet, who let out a soft growl.

"I know." She said, smiling as the rain began to clear up. She lifted her hand, pulling the hood down. "Rain is good. But not for us."

She laughed as Annet let out a soft purr. She looked down to see an opening and then saw the company stop.

She squinted, seeing one of them slapping their arms to get her attention. "I guess we are camping again."

She slowly takes Annet to the ground beside a worn-down house. As she landed, she watched as Gandalf walked off to his horse.

"Could you do the fire?" Ori asked softly, looking at the dragon from afar. She looked at Annet, who gave her soft eyes.

"Of course, if that is all right with you all?" She asked, seeing them all nod except for Thorin, who just stared.

"Are we sure this is safe?" Bilbo asked, watching them walk toward the branches.

She smiled, seeing them all back away as Annet followed her. "nár." She demanded, and Annet let out a flame.

The small flame was bright red and controlled to the area. The heat caused some to cover their eyes.

Fili admired from afar as he watched Erthril smile at Annet. When the flame was gone, she heard them all let out a breath.

-