seventeen

□

They cheered as the wolves began to retreat away from the flame. She hovered over the tree before hearing them let out screams.

She looked down, seeing the tree start to detach from the ground. Her eyes widened as she saw two of them begin to fall off, only to be caught by Gandalf's staff.

"We can not fit them all." She whispers to Annet, who becomes restless, flapping her wings.

She then watched from above as Thorin walked down from the tree. He ran to Azog, sword and shield in hand, widening her eyes.

Azog and his wolf jumped from their perch, hitting him to the ground. Azog turned as Thorin got to his feet, only to be hit by Azog's mace.

She watched on as Thorin and his shield were bitten by the wolf. Annet flew high into the sky before sweeping over the area.

As they reached the tree, she saw Thorin get thrown across the cliff. Her eyes widened, seeing an Orc place a blade on Thorin's neck, only for Bilbo to tackle it.

Bilbo grabbed Thorin's blade, swinging it around before all the other dwarves got down from the tree. She turned her head to see eagles.

She smiled as they picked Orcs up and threw them to the ground. Annet swept to the edge of the cliff, "Fili!" Erthril yelled.

He looked over, seeing her waiting with Annet. He looked back at his brother and then at her.

"Can we carry three?" She asked Annet, who let out a soft purr. She looked at the brothers and nodded. Both of them came running toward the dragon and rider.

They hopped onto the back, causing her to say, "Hold on!" They both did as told as Fili wrapped his arms around her waist, and Kili held onto his brother.

Annet flew fast to catch up to the Eagles. "You can let go now." She smiled, turning back to the brothers. Kili let go while Fili let go reluctantly.

Her smile faded as she looked over, seeing Thorin in the claws of an eagle. "Thorin!" Fili shouts from behind her.

As they reached the rocks of a hill, the eagles gently laid Thorin down. Annet landed on the rock, letting Erthril jump off.

She helped the brothers down as they hurried toward the group around Thorin.

She slowly made her way over to see Gandalf place his hand over Thorin's face. She crossed her arms as she watched on like the others.

She let out a breath with a smile as Thorin opened his eyes. "The halfling?" He asks, making her look at Bilbo.

"It's all right. Bilbo is here. He's quite safe." Gandalf tells him as he begins to stand. She walks only an inch closer as they help Thorin stand.

"You!" He says, looking at Bilbo. "What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden?" He says, making Erthril look at her feet.

"That you would not survive in the wild?" He says as he walks closer to Bilbo. "That you had no place amongst us?" He told him.

She knew he held the same sentiment to her. But she looked up as her eyes widened, hearing him say, "I have never been so wrong in my life."

She smiled, watching them hug as Annet walked up beside her. She looked over to Annet, who looked on softly at the two as they spoke.

"But I'm sorry I doubted you," Thorin tells him sincerely. "No, I would have doubted me too," Bilbo replies, shaking his head.

"I'm not a hero or a warrior. Not even a burglar." He says, making them all chuckle. Her head turned at the sound of squawking and saw the Eagles flying away.

Thorin walked past Bilbo, saying, "Is that what I think it is?" She moved closer, Annet behind her, as they moved to the cliff's edge.

"Erebor. The lonely mountain. The last of the great Dwarf Kingdom of middle-earth." Gandalf says while they all look past the vast forest. One tall mountain stood before them.

"Our home," Thorin says, and she can hear a smile in his voice. She looks through the group seeing Fili smiling and looking at the mountain.

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain." Oin says as they watch the birds fly from above them.

She smiled, watching them as Annet leaned her snout on Erthrils arm. "That, my dear Oin, is a thrush," Gandalf tells them.

"But we'll take it as a sign. A good omen." Thorin says before looking over beside him at Bilbo. "You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us." Bilbo replies.

-