𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙬𝙤.

─☼☼☼─

𝙎𝙄𝙇𝙀𝙉𝘾𝙀 𝘾𝙊𝘼𝙏𝙀𝘿 𝙏𝙃𝙀 dark bedroom, save only for the light breathing from Rafe at the foot of the bed where he slept on the hard floor.

One of Charlotte's pillows under his head, a blanket draped over him, placed there by the eldest Carrera once he had fallen asleep.

The two sisters lay in the bed that was far too soft to get comfortable.

Hours had passed since Mateo had left the room, and the door had only been opened to slip the three of them three plates of dinner.

None of them ate very much, too distraught over what fate would become of them in the morning.

When night had fallen, an argument ensued between the youngest Carrera girl and the Cameron boy about which of the three had the luxury of sleeping in the bed.

Rafe argued that it should be he and Charlotte. Kiara argued that it should be her and Charlotte.

Charlotte had suggested that they could all sleep in the bed with her in the middle. That had been vehemently rejected by Kiara, and thus, it left them where they were now; Rafe on the floor, the two sisters in the bed.

Neither of the girls were asleep yet, but neither spoke beneath the blanket of night.

Charlotte shifted slightly, the satin of the pajamas her and Kiara had been provided feeling like they were too tight. They were far from it, but somehow it felt like she was suffocating.

"Are you okay?" Kiara finally spoke, her voice quiet as it melded into the darkness.

Charlotte paused for a moment, staring up at the Crown Moulding on the ceiling as she shook her head slightly. "Not really."

Her admission was heavy, not at all referring to her current discomfort. Instead, she was referring of everything that had become of her over the past month, hell the past few months really.

Hearing the catch in her sister's voice, Kiara wordlessly reached out and took a hold of Charlotte's hand, her grasp light but comforting.

Another beat of silence passed before Kiara's voice carried once again. "Char, what happened to you?"

The topic had been avoided since their reunion earlier, but now, under the veil of Rafe's slumber, Kiara seemed comfortable enough to broach it once again.

Feeling like a lump had lodged itself in her throat, Charlotte recalled the events in her mind, trying to find the proper words to explain everything that had happened.

"I was shot."

Maybe that wasn't the best introduction to her recollection, but it was the only place she knew where to start.

The sharp intake of breath from her sister was indicative of the shock that washed over the youngest Carrera. She tightened her grip on Charlotte's hand slightly, and Charlotte was pretty sure she could feel her trembling.

"Did he—was it Rafe?" Kiara's voice was dangerously low, and part of Charlotte was afraid she was about to get out of the bed and strangle Rafe.