Chapter 1

Although he'd never admit to Hidan, Kakuzu was bored as hell.

The mission had been boring to begin with, and now that they were heading back to the hideout, the journey seemed to be taking years, and considering they hated each other's company, it didn't make things any easier. Naturally, Hidan whined and moaned like a little bitch, complaining every second that he was tired or that he was hungry or that there was something he wanted...Kakuzu stopped listening after a while. But Kakuzu forced himself to keep his mouth shut. He, too, was finding all of this incredibly tedious, and getting into an argument or fight with Hidan would only lengthen this journey. Speaking to him would probably make things worse, and he didn't want to reveal that he was bored—Hidan would instantly jump on that fact and get up in his face about it—so Kakuzu opted to say nothing at all to Hidan, running anything through his mind to block out the sound of Hidan's voice and just put one foot in front of the other.

A village appeared up ahead a little while later, and both Hidan and Kakuzu couldn't help but be grateful for it. Though they wouldn't be staying there, it meant there would be more outside stimulation for them to pay attention to, instead of the monotonous trek they'd been on for the last couple of hours, simply tree after tree after tree. Neither of them noticed themselves pick up their pace, concentrating only on getting through those gates. They were only passing through, so Kakuzu wouldn't let Hidan stop for long; maybe to grab a snack, but that was it. But still, he wasn't about to speed walk through the place to reach the other side. The village would act as a slight break from the forest, and he'd soak in as much of it as possible. At least it served as the marking post, anyway; it meant they didn't have long until they'd reach the hideout, and he could get himself away from Hidan. After all, he was what was marring the break in the first place, whining once again, only about something completely different this time. Clenching his fists, he attempted to keep his patience, not turning to look at Hidan as he growled simply,

"We're not staying for long, Hidan—just passing through. So grab something to eat, fine; but that's all."

Hidan glared at his back, wanting so badly to just punch him in the face. But that would mean Kakuzu wouldn't let him getanything in the village, so he attempted to count his blessings and take what he could get, trudging on behind Kakuzu with a scowl, while Kakuzu himself ground his teeth. It seemed like everything Hidan did would end up annoying him somehow, rolling his shoulders as they finally reached the gates, passing through into the village. Immediately the sounds and the sights hit their senses, and for a moment, they were both grateful for it—only Hidan's childish expression affected, knowing he would moan constantly to try and stay for longer, and he would have to stand and act like his parent.

But then a subordinate of his came running towards him, and Kakuzu had to hide a sigh of relief.

Smothering it away, he simply focused back in, snapping himself out of his boredom to make himself more alert, waiting for the guy to reach him. He now heard Hidan sigh, however, as if a subordinate had come to see Kakuzu, it meant only one thing: he had something to say about a bounty hunt. Snapping his head round to throw a glare to Hidan, he then turned back to the subordinate as he bowed at Kakuzu; and with a nod from him in return, he began to speak. It was about a bounty; it was lucky he was passing through, as the guy was nearby. Although he didn't know the exact location of where he was within them, there was a section of buildings that none of the villagers went near; it was known for groups of missing nins setting up shop, and as the guy had been staying here a while, it was the perfect place for him to stay. He was still there right now.

Nodding in agreement, Kakuzu nodded once in thanks for his information and then sent him on his way, thinking over what he was going to do and how he was going to do it. Not to mention there was the collection office to be taken into account. He couldn't carry a dead body around with him in this kind of area, and so quickly taking out his map, he scanned it for the nearest collection point. There had to be one relatively nearby; with several villages dotted around this area, it would be a good spot to have one—and then Kakuzu saw it; pretty much in the middle of their journey from the village to the hideout. The perfect place for it, and as such he folded the map back up and put it back in his sleeve, Hidan rolling his eyes as he looked back up, knowing that look in his eyes. Though as his stomach rumbled, he knew he wasn't about to agree to go with him. Not here—not now.

Spotting Hidan out of the corner of his eye, Kakuzu turned him and decided right then and there not to take him, and immediately knew what to do with him. In retrospect, it was the perfect situation for this to happen, and as such, Kakuzu turned to Hidan to state bluntly,

"I'm going on the bounty hunt, so go do what you want. Get something to eat, wander round; I don't care. As I'll be busy, you have the time to do so. Just be ready for when I come back."

Hidan, of course, quickly agreed with this plan, and with another reminder from Kakuzu to be ready when he came back, they left each other's company a little more content than before. They didn't have to deal with each other, and they both had things to do. So Kakuzu walked around the village, gathering a knowledge of the layout so he understood it a bit more. At least that way this guy wouldn't have an advantage over him if he tried to escape. He doubted he'd be able to, but still. There was no sense in rushing into things; it paid to be cautious. Literally. But as he continued onwards into the village, he noted as he turned one corner that the number of civilians began to decrease; and decrease quite rapidly. Getting the feeling that he was heading the right way, he picked up the pace, but making sure to keep to the shadows for the most part, not wanting to have his presence noted just yet.

Then he finally reached the place where he was looking for.

There were three buildings, all connected to each other, but apart from the rest of the village. They were basic in their shape and structure; nothing special, but then, they didn't need to be. They functioned as a workspace, nothing more. Kakuzu spent another few minutes working out the layout of the building, and although there were several rooms lit up, he dismissed them all; they were too small to be of any significance. But as he went towards the back of the main building, he spotted a large room, hidden from view from the front of the buildings, that looked perfect for anything they might be planning, and no doubt currently in use. So slowly making his way over, Kakuzu hid for a moment, tensing up and ready to collect his bounty, before turning swiftly, smashing the door open and heading inside.

Only it wasn't quite what he had been expecting.

And he wasn't quite sure what he was supposed to do now.