Chapter 26

The Akatsuki had been a little confused as to what Kakuzu was doing.

Out of everyone there, he was one of the ones least likely to turn up late to something, let alone a mission. Let alone a mission that involved going after a guy that had really pissed him off and whose bounty he wanted the moment they got the information out of him that they needed. But when everyone had been out in the living room, ready to talk about everything that needed to be done and heading off to search, Kakuzu had been the one that had been missing. Even Hidan had been present, and yet Kakuzu had been nowhere to be found. After a little while, Pein had gone to get him—and found him meditating on the bed. At first, he had instantly gone inside and started to tell him to get the hell up; until he noticed something wasn't quite right. It wasn't like with a normal meditation, or even when they had to be present for the tailed beast sealing. It was more like the Shapeshifting Technique; there in person, but mind elsewhere.

Narrowing his eyes, Pein paused for a moment, analysing him. He was doing a jutsu of some kind, though he had no idea what it was. But he knew Kakuzu—and he had to be doing this for a reason. He would never just do something like this on a whim; or at least he wouldn't have thought so. Ryoshi had changed things somewhat, for the Akatsuki and much more for Kakuzu. But still; what was he doing? Even if Ryoshi had influenced him, there had to be a purpose for it; but until Kakuzu broke out of this, Pein couldn't know. And he doubted he'd be able to break him out of it either. This was something he had never come across before, and without knowing what it did or how it worked, he wasn't about to interfere—not in case he simply made things worse.

So for the time being, Pein had left the room and told the others they were waiting a while longer for Kakuzu. That he was doing something—though he didn't describe what. It was a situation that left all of them in a state of confusion. But without any way of breaking it, all they could do was sit and wait for something to change; which it did a while later. Kakuzu finally appeared from his room and entered the living room, Hidan being the first to speak up and rant about him being late. Kakuzu listened for a few moments to him whine about how he got on at him for being late, yet it was absolute fine for him to do it. But realising how much time he was wasting, Kakuzu merely rolled his eyes and pushed Hidan out of the way to get to Pein, stating simply,

"I know where Ketsu is."

Everyone blinking in surprise, Pein narrowed his eyes at those words. He'd known Kakuzu wanted this mission completed in order to get Ketsu's bounty, and that he was willing to do more than any of the others to get it finished. But that didn't mean it made it easier for him to find out Ketsu's location. So how exactly had he done so? It had to be to do with that jutsu he'd just been doing, and so Pein quietly questioned as to how he knew this, only for Kakuzu to reply bluntly,

"Ryoshi told me."

Once again this brought about nothing but confusion from the others, all giving out questions as to what was going on and what the hell he was talking about. But once again Kakuzu couldn't just stand around, and suggesting they head off first, he offered to explain on the way—an offer which was ultimately accepted. He reminded Pein of Ryoshi's jutsu—and gave a small explanation of what it was to the others—and that this was part of it, and how he had been contacting Ryoshi for the last couple of nights. True, he left out the details of what had gone on between them and his struggle to get Ryoshi to talk to him, but overall it wasn't needed. Kakuzu simply skipped past that part and relayed all that Ryoshi had told him, and what they had to do in order to get Ketsu, get the information, and get the bounty.

Once again Pein couldn't help but be impressed by Ryoshi's abilities, and a flash of a thought as to contemplate her situation passed through his mind; though he quickly pushed it aside as he returned to Kakuzu's information. Agreeing with all Ryoshi had said, they followed Kakuzu's lead as he took them towards Ketsu's hideout, running through what all of them would have to do as they did so. It didn't take very long for them to finally reach it, however, and slowing to a halt, they kept out of sight for a while, checking out the security of the building and just where they would need to go to find Ketsu. Kakuzu didn't want a repeat of before to happen; to think he had him right where he wanted him, only to head inside and find the place empty and Ketsu long gone. The plan was adapted to what they saw, and after a few more moments of gathering everything together, they all headed forward and inside.

By the time they smashed their way inside the room, there was nowhere for Ketsu to run, and no time in order for him to even attempt it. There were several guards with him, but none of them looked particularly confident, and would be easy to kill. Kakuzu instantly glanced past them all, however, when he noticed the cells lining the right hand wall; Ryoshi in one of them. She narrowed her eyes at their appearance, slightly surprised at that fact. Yes, she had known that she had given Kakuzu all that information to help him find Ketsu and take him down and given the location of the building—but she hadn't imagined he'd turn up this soon. A slight increase in heartbeat showed the affect it had on her, but she wouldn't let it show in any other way. This wasn't a moment to get caught up in her emotions.

Kakuzu knew it too, and forced himself to look back at Ketsu, though he couldn't hide that slight feeling of relief that Ryoshi was alright. Of course, she wasn't out of the woods yet, considering she still was in the cell, he still did have to get her out, and Ketsu was closer to the cell than he was. For all he knew Ketsu could use Ryoshi to his advantage in order to try and get away. But Kakuzu shook that idea off; he might know they were colleagues; friends, enough to orchestrate Ryoshi hearing what she did, but he didn't know how well they knew each other. He wouldn't think to put her in danger in order to make him react. Not that it would work to begin with. He might want to save her, but the rest of the Akatsuki were still present. They wouldn't hesitate to act either—not to mention Ryoshi could handle herself. He didn't have to worry about her being taken advantage of.

For a moment there was a stalemate, no one moving as they weighed each other up, taking in the surroundings and preparing for anything they might have to do. Even Ryoshi did the same, feeling herself automatically tense up for battle, even if for the moment she wasn't in the midst of it all. She merely watched, wondering how things were going to go—in the same way Kakuzu was. He, too, was glancing at Ryoshi, and Kakuzu was starting to wonder just what was going on. How many reasons had there been for him to capture Ryoshi? But even he hadn't expected Ketsu to suddenly reach for a briefcase on the table next to him. Everyone paused, narrowed eyes as they tried to figure out what he was doing, only to find him walking slowly forward, holding out the briefcase to Kakuzu. At first he remained firm, not about to touch it in the slightest, but as Ketsu spoke,

"Keep me alive...and I'll tell you the info willingly," Kakuzu slowly took it and opened it up, narrowing his eyes at the money inside. There was a lot in there. But Ryoshi froze at his expression. She knew what the money was; what it meant, and it looked as if Kakuzu was just about ready to take it. Her heart slammed against her ribcage, her breathing heavy at the idea of everything turning out just as she had feared.

Had she been wrong all along?