CHAPTER 2

___

Celesteria
478th Regnal Year

___

Nestled amidst lush landscapes and majestic mountains, lay a flourishing kingdom known as Celesteria whose air was filled with an aura of prosperity and enchantment.

The heart of Celesteria was its bustling market square, a vibrant hub of commerce and cultural exchange. Stalls and shops overflowed with an array of exotic goods, from shimmering silks and intricate jewelry to spices that carried the scent of distant lands. The air was alive with the melodic sounds of street musicians, their tunes weaving through the tapestry of vibrant conversations.

The kingdom was blessed with fertile lands, where lush farmlands yielded bountiful harvests. Crystal-clear rivers and shimmering lakes meandered through the land, providing nourishment and beauty to the kingdom.

At the center of the kingdom stood the grand Imperial Palace, a beacon of power and opulence. Its walls were adorned with tapestries depicting heroic tales and scenes from the kingdom's rich history. Within its halls, wise rulers held court, their noble presence instilling a sense of unity and purpose among the citizens.

A happy kingdom. The common folks were living a life of comfort given to the righteousness of their King who had maintained the prosperity of his kingdom as it had been passed down to him by his ancestors and he were to do the same.

As his time neared, he began entrusting his eldest son, Elipsus Deamonne, with bigger administrative roles. It was an obvious line of descent - The king would pass down the crown to his eldest son, provided he was legitimate. That particular criterion of being the legitimate son of the king took away everyone's focus from Arnoux Deamonne, a bastard son to the King.

Elipsus and Arnoux grew up together. Arnoux was not deprived of anything, be it education, military training or even magic. Given the solidarity between the two brothers, Elipsus had wished for Arnoux to be his most trusted man when Elipsus had the throne.

A harmonious rule, as everyone supposed, came crashing down soon.

The King was bedridden, counting his last few days, when Elipsus made a shocking revelation. Having found love, Elipsus wished to throw away the crown that waited to be sat over his head. The woman was a country girl and lowly to be able to marry into the royal family. The crown seemed like an obstacle to Elipsus's happiness. After much debate between the father and son, the father decided to give the throne to his bastard son.

Arnoux had been raised right. Bearing no ill intentions towards his brother, he happily took the throne and the people happily embraced him. After all, a King is one who serves his people, which Arnoux did with much excellence.

A year or so passed under the rule of Arnoux Deamonne, the righteous king, as everyone addressed him. On the other side, Elipsus's first child was born. The elder brother, along with his wife and firstborn, visited Arnoux to share their happiness. Many assumed it was to show that a new crown bearer had taken birth. The next king. But Elipsus had no such intentions, being well aware that only a King's son, that of Arnoux, could become the next king.

"What might you be suggesting, brother?" Arnoux had questioned Elipsus when he stated he would like his newborn to remain a common folk. Elipsus was the eldest brother and only the eldest son, another important criteria, could inherit the throne.