CHAPTER 8

_________

(A simpler brief of the past events)

Arkell Reids, the Prince who had been accepted by the people as their King without a crowning ceremony, was helpless due to his partial abilities. He could neither go across the wall without losing several lives, including his own, nor could he trust the High Priest's Prophecy since their alliance was no longer facilitated by the old King, who had passed away. The Old King, Arnoux Reids was known for his rigid and righteous rule. He had passed several orders to moderate crime due to misuse of magic. He had also poured all of his trust into the High Priest Karrez and thought of the Temple with high regard. Another well known fact about him was the admiration he had for his half-brother who could not succeed to the throne. His half-brother was the true owner of the throne. He was Elipsus Deamonne.

Elipsus Deamonne was the direct descendant of the then King, while Arnoux was the son of the King's second wife. It was certain for Elipsus to succeed, since he was older and the real son. However, he found love and decided to live a resigned life, leaving the throne for his dear brother Arnoux who came to be known as Arnoux Deamonne after his crowning. Few peaceful years passed in the Kingdom of Deamonne and all was shattered with Elipsus Deamonne's firstborn. People recalled that day as the day when the Devil was born.

A series of unfortunate events took place, leading to the eradication of every last Deamonne. The last name 'Deamonne' came to be associated with the reign of devils which was unwanted by the people. Having no choice left, and filled with utmost hatred for his brother Elipsus, Arnoux reverted back to his original name.

Thus became the Kingdom of Reids, over the corpses of the devils.

____________

High Priest Karrez

The Temple

"Inform His Majesty that I have no recent information to discuss."

"But in such dire times, the High Priest must-"

"Do you not understand?!" I banged on the armrest of my chair set on a high platform, causing the golden Wine glass to topple and roll on the ground.

"I do not." The Knight had not shown an ounce of respect since the beginning and now, he drew his sword.

"What indecency! Who let this barbaric enter such a holy place?!" I shouted and rose from my seat but the Knight did not even flinch.

"This temple of yours falls under the jurisdiction of our King. You may not slip away from my hands even if His Highness shows mercy. I am his sword. Follow me to the palace or I shall take your head." He threatened me while all my mages stood back. It was true. We were living on the land of Reids. I myself wanted to ally with the King, but that darned Carlos had his hands wrapped around my throat.

"Must you cross all boundaries to serve your nephew?" I joked," Alright. I will do as you say," I fumbled," However, you must never commit such a foul act of wielding your sword in the temple."

"I apologise to the High Priest." He was not apologetic.

__________