ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ~•Chapter|Five• A Rude Awakening

As I laid on my bed, my senses gradually attuned to the sounds of the morning chorus. The darkness within the house contrasted with the faint sunlight filtering through the window.

 Suddenly, a voice pierced the stillness, jolting me from my half-asleep state, its words floating in the air like a haunting melody."Finally awake, I see," Myigan's aged countenance greeted me as I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. His gruff voice was as sharp as a blade, a stark contrast to the soft morning light. "You sleep like a corpse." 

 "Good morning to you too, grumpy," I retorted, a hint of sarcasm in my voice. Myigan's gruff demeanor was a constant, as reliable as the rising sun. "Thanks for reminding me I've been here a week, and the only semblance of human interaction is a pain in my ass." I muttered under my breath. But I'm grateful for his company, I thought to myself.

 Grateful. That word is sour on my tongue, a part of me isn't content with this strange twist of fate my destiny is taking but I can't complain, well not to him anyway. I learned my lesson already."Hmph, follow me." He grunted; his voice as rough as the bark of the trees outside.

 Silently, I got up and followed him to the porch overlooking the tree lines in the distance. As I bit back the gratitude I felt for his company, I acknowledged the conflicting emotions within me. Myigan's gruff demeanor softened slightly as he grunted, motioning for me to follow him to the porch overlooking the barren landscape, where the transformation of the once vibrant forest into an unforgiving terrain was evident.

 From the tree house, rain clouds formed across the sky, just barely they managed to release crystal spray, but the suns burned away the rain before it even hit the barren ground and the air shimmered from the unrelenting heat.

 "I don't understand. Myigan, what's happening?" I asked, my voice filled with confusion and fear. 

 "Do you know exactly when winter ends and spring begins?" He asked, his gaze surveying the now desolate forest. The enormous trees now bare, stood like silent sentinels in the distance.I looked into his tired eyes, searching for answers.

 "What does this mean for Astala?"The tree trembled beneath our feet as a low rumble grew into a cacophony of cracks and groans. Myigan halted, his eyes scanning the forest floor.

 "Ketsu," he muttered, more to himself than to me.I followed his gaze and saw them—shadows at first, then distinct figures, an army of Ketsu emerging from the distorted heat waves. They moved with purpose, their eyes fixed on our treehouse, their intentions as clear as the brightening sky. 

 "We need to move, now!" Myigan's voice was urgent, a stark contrast to his usual gruffness. He grabbed my arm, pulling me away from the porch towards a hidden door I hadn't noticed before. He opened it, throwing his bag down the dark hole. 

 "We're heading to the Sacred Grounds," he shouted over the noise. "It's the only place where we can hold them off and find answers."Questions flooded my mind. What were the Sacred Grounds? How did Myigan know of this place? And most importantly, could it really offer us sanctuary against the Ketsu?But there was no time for answers. The Ketsu would be here soon, their shrieks filling the air.

 "We need to go to the tribes; I have to warn them about the Ketsu." Myigan strode across the porch, swinging a bag onto his back, before stepping onto the lift.The sounds of the Ketsu's approach grew louder, a relentless drumbeat that matched the pounding of my heart. 

 "Wait. I need a second to gather my things. Isn't there another way down than a dark hole that leads who knows where?" 

 He scowled, crossing his arms behind his back, lightly tapping his hunched shoulders with his staff. "The last time I checked, the fastest way down was to step off the porch. If you're still breathing by the time you arrive, give a shout, and the Ketsu will fetch you."