VI. CLOCKTOWER SHENANIGANS: PART I

__________

The hand mirror was made of ornate silver, the many years since it's been made shown clearly on the reflective surface; scratches and unremovable stains. Ivy held the mirror up to her face, her hands around the handle covering the hurtful Toujours Pur that was engraved. Always Pure, the motto of the noble house of Black, of which only Sirius and Ivy were left and she did not even carry the name like he did.

Her father had given it to her a few years back, although he had never explained why her mother had kept it, since she and her family did not get along. Ivy had always suspected it had something to do with the initials R.A.B. engraved on the back.

Ivy stared at her own grey eyes, eyes so much like those of her mother and uncle. Her gaze travelled to the side of her jaw, where indeed a light scar ran up the side of her face. Madame Pomfrey had been right, the scar was fading quickly but it would always be there. Ivy thought it looked kind of cool.

Today was Hogsmeade, so Ivy picked out her best outfit to go to the wizarding town and stock up on Werther's originals, chocolate frogs and dungbombs with Fred before meeting up with Iris in The Three Broomsticks. This would be their first date in public, but Ivy did not feel very nervous about being out in the open. People never assumed anything with two girls.

She had written to her dad that she was going to be busy the day of Hogsmeade, so they unfortunately could not meet up like they normally would. It was not that much a lie as it was leaving a few abundant details out. Oleander had asked his daughter what she was doing instead that day and she answered that she was meeting up with Fred, also technically not a lie. With the Yule Ball and Hogsmeade, her dad must have definitely believed she and Fred were dating. Ivy did nothing to sway his mind in a different direction.

It felt much easier this way than having to explain to him that, well, his daughter was dating a girl. She knew exactly what attitude both the muggle world and the wizarding world had on that kind of thing, and her dad grew up in both. She did not rationalize her thoughts by thinking that her dad had never expressed any negativity on the subject and that he was completely fine with Henri gossiping about his dubious love life.

So, for the first time in forever, Ivy skipped meeting up with her dad to, instead, go on a date with an insanely pretty girl. First, however, she had to meet up with Fred and reveal to him the latest shenanigan she had brewed up.

Ivy saw Fred waiting for her, leaning against the inner wall of the alley next to Zonko's. She opened her mouth to say hello when Fred shushed her loudly, grabbing her arm and pulling her into Zonko's. He immediately went to the window and peered out suspiciously.

"Fred?" Ivy asked. "What are you doing?"

"Making sure the coast is clear. It isn't safe, not anymore."

"You're dumb," she said, shaking her head.

"This is a covert mission, Ives, we need to be extra careful."

"I haven't even told you the plan yet."

"Right," Fred replied, standing up straight. "What is the plan?"

Ivy took her notebook out of her coat and handed it to him, watching excitedly as his eyes scanned every word, widening each time he turned a page. "You came up with this?" he asked.

"Yes! Well, not exactly. I altered it," she replied. "The broad strokes came from what I remembered from Sirius's notebook. He did something similar with his mates in their fourth year. He's going to leave soon for—"

Ivy stopped herself just in time before she accidentally spilled the beans on Inigo and his prophecy. Dumbledore had been very specific about not telling more people than necessary and she had already broken that rule by telling Henri. She was sure Harry had told Hermione and Ron everything as well. The trusted circle kept growing bigger, something that made Ivy feel very nervous.