X. FACES FROM THE PAST

___________

Oleander stood in the middle of a dimly lit street, the yellow-flickering light casting his silhouette behind him as he trudged against the London winds. His red curls were blown in his face as he desperately tried to make himself look presentable.

Reaching into the pocket of his wool-lined denim jacket, he pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. It read: Alberic Grunnion street 7, Warlington, London. He had no idea this neighbourhood even existed in London, which might have been partly due to the fact that it was a wizarding street in a wizarding borough in the wizarding part of London and Oleander was a muggle.

He had no idea how this note had showed up in his pocket, but it suspiciously showed up right after he had met with his wife's twin brother. Underneath the address stood: 'don't fuck it up or I'll kick your arse,' which pretty much confirmed his suspicions.

Warlington was a small borough, quaint and idyllic, especially for London. There were no high sky scrapers or busy shop fronts, nor were there crowding pubs or bums sleeping at the side of the road. It didn't even smell like London. If he hadn't flooed to London and then taken the underground, he'd have thought he was still at home, back in Pittenweem.

The houses were pressed closely together, with colourful bricks and vivid window frames that were even visible in the dark under only the transparent moonlight. There was luscious greenery all around him; trees bent over each other, moss crawled its way through every crack in the brick road and ivy vines had managed to cling to the sides of the crammed houses.

Oleander made his way down the quiet road, the only sounds coming from his worn boots and the hoots of owls that were no doubt watching him with sharp eyes from their perches high in the trees that lined the road. He strolled past homes, each as different and as wonderful as the last; 17... 15... 13... 11... 9... He stopped as he reached Alberic Grunnion street 7.

The house didn't seem like anything special, but Oleander reckoned that that was done on purpose. He had only been back in the wizarding world for a little while, but in every magical newspaper he saw there would be a new headline reporting on a sighting of the famous Potters. At moments like that he was glad Astoria and him had fled this world.

The house was three stories tall and leaned crooked against the one next to it. He could see the warm lights from inside behind the closed curtains and the chimney was billowing out little puffs of smoke. The garden in front of the house gave space to a variety of plants that Oleander instantly recognized. His breath hitched in his throat as he began walking up the overgrown path that ran through the small garden. His mother had a garden like this, it was where she had gotten their names from; Petunia, Lily and Oleander.

Deep in his thoughts, he didn't notice the front door open.

"Hello," a smooth voice said, putting a careful hand on his shoulder.

Oleander shook his head and glanced at James Potter, who looked at him through his hazel eyes with a worried frown.

"You okay there, mate?"

"Uh... yeah," Oleander replied and put a smile on his face. Suddenly his entire body felt tingly as nerves raced through every limb. Why am I here? he thought. This is a horrible, terrible idea. He wished the earth beneath him would open up and swallow him whole. "I- I should leave. Sorry," he muttered and turned to leave.

James didn't let him. "Come on," he said, "You're telling me you came all this way just to admire the neighbourhood?"

"Well, I have been searching for a new place, heard the rates were terrific around these parts," he found himself joking easily.

"You've come to the right place, Ollie." James grinned before turning serious. "Look, I was just heading out, but Lily is inside. She hasn't said much since... you know, the incident," he said, thinking back to Lily's outburst at Hogsmeade. "But it's clear it's bothering her. Talk to her and don't fuck it up, or I'll kick your arse."

Oleander's eyes widened. "You?" he said, his face flustered.

James winked at him and clapped a strong hand on his shoulder. "I've gotta go, but chin up, mate. It'll be fine. She's in a good mood. I think," he said, a frown growing on his face, "it's always hard to tell with that woman." He pushed past Oleander and, with a loud crack, he disapparated.

Oleander let out a deep sigh as he recovered from his encounter with James Potter. He found it so peculiar how James didn't even know him, they had barely even talked, but still the man treated him like an old friend. Something about his presence was comforting, no wonder this man was able to put a ring on his sister.

Speaking of, the wind picked up again and the open door of the crooked house creaked loudly, slowly falling closed. In a spur of the moment decision, Oleander stepped a single foot inside, stopping the door from closing itself.

"Guess we're doing this..." he mumbled and ran an anxious hand through his hair.

"James," Lily called from inside, "I thought you were leaving? Did you forget your keys ag—" she trailed off as she stepped inside the hallway and spotted an embarrassed Oleander standing halfway through the door.

"James let me in," he said immediately. "I swear I'm not committing a felony!"

Lily didn't say anything for a while, her breathing steady and harsh. Pursing her lips, she turned and walked back into the living room. "Close the door behind you, will you? It's bloody freezing!"

Oleander banged his head against the door as he let out a breath of relief. He closed the door and was about to walk further inside, when Lily called out again.

"Shoes off, Oleander! Honestly, I thought you would've learned by now..."

Kicking his shoes off, he trotted into the room, seeing Lily pouring tea in the kitchen.

At the sound of him entering, she looked up and asked, "Tea?"

He smiled timidly. "Please. You're right, it is freezing," he said, rubbing his hands together.

Lily rolled her eyes as she joined him in the living room, the two sitting at opposite sides of the table. A song played softly in the background. Oleander recognized it distantly; faces cracked for reason beyond recognition, the radio played, his space is at the Palace...

"That's what you get when you don't wear gloves, or a scarf, or a hat, or a proper jacket," Lily listed off, putting the mug filled with steaming tea in front of Oleander.

He nodded absent-mindedly. This was the first time he had seen his sister this close, something he didn't think he'd ever be able to do again. When he looked at her, he found himself noticing only the differences between Lily and Ivy, and not the similarities.