Chapter 5

"Don't think just because you fought a troll it makes you any more deserving of being placed in Slytherin." Johanna approached Alayna the next morning as she was getting ready for the school day, hands on her hips and with pretentious attitude. Alayna sighed, wondering why the girl felt the need to say such a thing. She ignored her for the moment and continued gathering her school supplies.

"I heard Sebastian was with you anyway, he probably did all the fighting and you just took the credit. That duel you had in class must have been a fluke." Johanna just kept going on. Alayna was already starting to get frustrated at the girl's attempts to make her feel lesser.

"What is your problem, Johanna? What did I even do besides sit on that stool? You don't know anything about me." Alayna turned on her. Johanna's brows furrowed and she took a step back. She hadn't been expecting any resistance clearly, but she recovered quickly.

"Slytherin is the most prestigious house, not just anyone can be placed here. Definitely not someone from a family like yours."

"Well, I'm here aren't I? So what does that say about your family?" Alayna shoved past her and left the dorm room before things got even uglier. She caught Nerida at the door just coming back from the restrooms and listening in.

"Oh, sorry. You handled yourself well against Johanna this time," Nerida said. It was meant to be kind, but Alayna was not having it.

"What, did you think you'd be able to swoop in and save me from her harassments again? Thanks, but I'll take care of myself from now on." Alayna walked towards the common room as Nerida's face fell. She'd been harsh, but she was still angry from Johanna's words that she didn't care. She was honestly a little impressed with herself. Apparently going up against stone knights, a troll, and Rookwood and Ranrok were teaching her to stand up for herself. Or maybe she had always been like this and her wit was only showing up now that she needed it. There hadn't been any other kids in Damerel, so it had always been just Alayna and her sister. They fought sometimes, but it wasn't like arguing with Johanna.

Alayna had received an owl early that morning from Professor Fig asking her to meet him in his classroom before breakfast. She was starving, but she really wanted to talk to him about yesterday and her encounter with Rookwood.

"Professor?" Alayna lightly knocked on the door to his office as she slowly opened it. Fig was sitting at his desk, but quickly stood when he saw who it was. 

"Come in, come in. I've heard all about your adventure in Hogsmeade yesterday. Well done on fighting that troll," Professor Fig gestured for her to come in as he walked around his desk to stand near her.

"Thank you, but about Hogsmeade, professor. After the attack, I saw Ranrok and Rookwood together talking. It seems they were behind it. Rookwood tried to confront me in the Three Broomsticks too."

"Rookwood and Ranrok...working together? That hardly seems possible, but if it is true that can only mean trouble. I'm glad you are all right then." Professor Fig placed a hand on her arm. Alayna smiled, feeling a little better now that someone else knew about what she and Sebastian had seen.

"I found something with that vial we got from Gringotts. There was a map hidden within it, of Hogwarts nonetheless." Professor Fig gestured for her to join him by his desk where he had said map laid out. Alayna looked at the markings on the map and recognized much of it from her own map she had in her field guide. "Unfortunately, I'm not sure where it is supposed to lead. There don't appear to be any markings."

"There, in the library. There's traces of ancient magic in that area." A small section within the library glowed with that now familiar magic she could see. Alayna tapped the spot to show Professor Fig exactly where it was.