Chapter 20

Dearest daughter,

We are so pleased to hear that you are settling in well at Hogwarts and doing well in your classes. We look forward to reading even more about them as the year progresses. And a phoenix core wand! Your father and I were never paired with a wand, but we know the power such cores hold. Hopefully you are making friends and not studying too hard. Christmas break is still some time away, but do you plan to come home? We would love to see you and hear all about school then.

Love,
Mom, Dad, and Felicity

P.S. (From Felicity)
Hogwarts Valley sounds beautiful! And Hogsmeade! Maybe someday I can come visit with you and you can show me around everywhere. But you left out describing your common room? What are the Hufflepuff dorms like? Are there plants everywhere? Is it true it's right next to the kitchen? Can you send me some sweets from Honeyduke's? It's okay if not. Can't wait to see you for break!

Alayna had to breathe a sigh of relief when she received a letter from her family the next day. It was clear they had not heard or been told about the dragon incident on the way to school. She would not have to worry about explaining what had happened then. And Christmas break...she had not even thought about it yet, but as she sat at her desk in her dorm room continuously reading over the letter she thought it might be a good idea to stay. With all the free time over break, she could spend it working hard to catch up more and prepare for her O.W.L.s. Obviously, that wouldn't be the answer her family was hoping for, but they would have to see the logic of wanting to stay. It would just be for one year and she would be home over the summer anyway. Not to mention, she didn't want to go home in case something happened with ancient magic. Maybe I really am working too hard, Alayna thought.

Then there was her sister's message which turned her relief back into stress. She had hoped her family would gloss over the fact she hadn't mentioned anything about her house in her last letter. Another reason to not want to go home for Christmas, Alayna didn't want to tell her family she was in Slytherin. She would have to eventually, of course, but she was ready to put it off for as long as possible. Plus, if she did really well throughout the school year they couldn't be disappointed that she was in a different house than they'd expected.

If she didn't answer Felicity though, her family might start to grow a little suspicious, but Alayna had no idea what the Hufflepuff common room or dorms looked like. She'd been down near them, but she couldn't get in. Unless...

Amit had told her they were allowed into other house's common rooms so long as they had an escort and Alayna just so happened to need to talk to Poppy who was in Hufflepuff.

"Poppy!" Alayna called out as she approached the small Hufflepuff near the magical creatures' pens by the Care of Magical Creatures classroom.

"Hello, Alayna. What brings you out here?" Poppy asked as she turned away from the kneazle pen.

"Well, I have a few things to talk to you about. Don't freak out, but Highwing was captured by poachers again," Alayna told her straightforward.

"What?" Poppy shouted, definitely freaking out. "I knew I was right to worry when I hadn't seen her for a while."

"Don't worry, she's safe. Long story short, Natty and I were going through a poacher base and accidentally stumbled upon her. So she is free and safe again." Alayna held out her hands, trying to calm Poppy back down.

"Oh, thank Merlin." Poppy placed a hand over her heart and let out a breath. "But what if the poachers catch her again? Maybe I should just send her away...Hogwarts Valley isn't safe for her."

"About that...that's the second thing I wanted to talk to you about. I know of a place where Highwing will be safe."

"Really? Where?"