Chapter 6

Classes the next day did little to distract Alayna from the mystery of the restricted section and its connection with ancient magic. Though she did her best to pay attention in Charms and DADA, her mind kept circling back to wondering what could be in the restricted section. She had no idea when Professor Fig would be able to take her and she hated waiting.

That's when between classes and her extra lessons, she had an idea pop into her head. Or rather, she remembered Ominis and Sebastian talking about the restricted section. Namely, that Sebastian had been there before or knew how to get in without a professor's permission. Maybe he would be willing to help her.

"Sebastian!" Alayna called out. She found him in the maze of stairways and halls in the Astronomy Wing of the castle. An enchanted set of instruments played gentle music for the common area for students to enjoy between their classes.

"Hello again," Sebastian smiled as she approached and stood from a couch he had been relaxing on.

"Listen, I wanted to ask you about something," Alayna said.

"Oh? Fire away," Sebastian raised an eyebrow.

"You mentioned the other day that you knew how to get into the restricted section. Could you maybe...help me get in there?" Alayna spoke quietly so others wouldn't hear their conversation.

"Looking to break some rules? What's got you interested in the restricted section all of a sudden?" Sebastian looked a little confused by her sudden interest.

"Remember when I said I could see traces of ancient magic? Professor Fig found a map leading to the restricted section, but since he's busy right now I can't go and check it out," Alayna explained. 

"That does sound like a dilemma. Alright, I can help you out. Just meet me in Central Hall tonight."

"Oh, thank you Sebastian! I'll see you then." Alayna grinned and hurried off to her lessons. Professor Fig probably wouldn't be very happy with her looking into the restricted section without him, but he would have to understand her eagerness to learn more about ancient magic.

Later that night after curfew hit, Alayna snuck out of her dorm room, out of the Slytherin common room, and made her way to Central Hall. After crossing the bridge to the other half of the castle, Alayna found herself at the top of the stairs leading down towards the common area. Leaning against the banister overlooking the space was Sebastian. He stood so he was facing the stairs, waiting for her to arrive or in case someone else made their way in his direction, she assumed.

"You made it," Sebastian whispered as she came to stand at the banister with him. They both looked over into the space below and saw a few Prefects patrolling the area. "We'll have to get past the Prefects to get into the library."

"Don't worry, I can be sneaky," Alayna smiled, prepared to make her way down the stairs before Sebastian caught her arm.

"Now hold on," he grinned. "Sneaking is fine and all, but I'll teach you how to cast Disillusionment. It's not quite as good as an invisibility cloak, but it will help you not to be seen and spells are free." They crouched down behind the banister for a few moments so Sebastian could teach her the Disillusionment spell. She was quick to pick up on it and soon she was looking down at her hand, which was now sort of shimmery and see through to the floor beneath it.

"Good, now let's go." Sebastian led the way down the stairs into Central Hall. They snuck past the two Prefects in the area with ease. Neither of them even turned their heads in Sebastian or Alayna's direction as they moved by them. They quietly entered the first door to the library and then walked down the hall to the second door. As they entered the library, however, they were met with Miss Scribner, the librarian, who was still at her desk even this late at night. They quickly diverted to the bookshelves off to the side.