Chapter 8

Alayna only had one class on Fridays: Flying class. Usually reserved for younger years, she had been put into it as one of the few fifth years in the class. In fact, she was one of only two. She had never flown a broom before. Her parents saw no need for one. Any traveling they did was usually by portkey or Floo powder. She had gone through a phase where she'd begged her parents for one, but they had also claimed it was too dangerous for a young child.

It was exciting though. She would be up in the air soon, free as a bird. First, she had to learn how to actually ride though.

"Welcome to your first day of Flying class," Madame Kogawa greeted the class as they stood in two lines on the grounds outside of the castle. Brooms lay on the ground by their feet. It was a beautiful day for their first class too, not a cloud in the sky and a slight breeze. "We will begin by learning how to maneuver on your brooms safely as flying is first and foremost a means of transportation. Diving, rolling, and loop-de-loops will not be taught or, in fact, tolerated in this class. We will leave those to the professional Quidditch players like the Toyohashi Tengu." The fit flying instructor was fully decked out in flying gear as she walked between the lines of students. She looked more like a Quidditch player than a professor, but Alayna supposed it made sense given she was also in charge of Quidditch. Unfortunately, it was canceled for the year thanks to Headmaster Black. She'd been looking forward to seeing some games.

One of the students booed Madame Kogawa's choice of Quidditch Team as she finished speaking.

"Not a fan?" She smiled as she reached the end of the lines. "Step up to your brooms, say 'up' firmly and clearly, then kick your leg over and rest your weight on the seat." She demonstrated with her own broom before indicating for them all to do the same. Soon the yard was echoing with shouts of 'up' from all of the students. Many took to it quickly, but a few had to repeat themselves several times before their brooms finally leapt to their hand.

"Up!" Alayna spoke firmly as she held out her hand. The broom lifted quickly to meet her palm and she grasped it firmly with a big smile on her face. Even to just hold a broom was exciting. She swung one leg over the broom and seated herself. Her feet slowly left the ground until she was floating just a few feet in the air. Once all of the students had managed to board their brooms, Madame Kogawa instructed them again.

"If you hear my whistle during flight, ground yourself at once. With that, practice flying through the rings in the courtyard here." Madame Kogawa pointed to the three huge rings that had been set up nearby. "Be careful not to fly into them, please."

By shifting her weight slightly on her broom, Alayna was able to move it forward, turn, and brake. Her movement was jilted at first as she learned how small a movement she needed to coax the broom forward. But soon she was flying at full speed through the rings in the courtyard. She laughed as she did, purely enjoying the feeling of flying through the air.

"You're a fast learner, Miss Donellan. If you're feeling comfortable, there's a course of rings around the castle. Give those a try." Madame Kogawa came up beside her and pointed out the first of the rings down near the lake.

"Alright!" Alayna said eagerly. The courtyard was fine, but she was looking to really let loose. She took off at full speed towards the first ring. Diving only sped her up faster and the wind ripped by her. She flew through the first and spotted the next when another student flew by her. It was the only other fifth year in the class.

"Nice flying!" The Ravenclaw boy turned on his broom to look back at her. He moved faster than she had been able to manage so far. "Trying leaning over your broom, you'll go even faster!" With that, he took off again around the course. Alayna followed his advice and leaned down close to the handle of her broom. She flew even faster around the turns as she continued to follow the rings. The course circled the castle so that she saw all of it from up high. It was incredible to be able to see the castle from this position. If she flew up a little higher, she could see smoke rising in the distance from the homes and shops in Hogsmeade. And everywhere she saw the beauty of the valley. It was incredible and she stopped at the end of the course to take it all in.