Chapter 16

The weekend kept Alayna busy with completing homework for classes and the following week had her busy with said classes leaving her little time for much else. This meant she didn't have any time to discuss a plan with Professor Fig about gathering information. Until the following weekend, when she had some free time. Since she had had Potions and Herbology that week, the homework was easily finished. Much quicker than if she were working on homework for Transfiguration or reading for History of Magic.

Professor Fig, however, was busy over the weekend with work for his own classes. He was still catching up after his little trip to the Ministry, but Alayna assured him she could handle speaking to Sirona herself.

So Alayna took a little trip to Hogsmeade. She would have invited Sebastian to come along, but if she was going to be speaking to a goblin she didn't think that would go over too well with him. Not that she minded going by herself either. It made her feel independent and confident to walk through the village on her own. Many people still remembered her battle with the troll and would greet her warmly. There was a sense of community that she appreciated being so far from home. She knew everyone in Damerel and she was glad to learn that the same could be said in a larger village like Hogsmeade. Everyone was close and looked out for each other.

On the weekend, the village was packed with students from Hogwarts visiting the shops and The Three Broomsticks was no different. Plenty of students crowded around tables with mugs of butterbeer laughing and chatting. Alayna waved to a few she recognized as she made her way to the bartop.

"Alayna, it's been a little while since you were last in," Sirona greeted her with a smile as she sat on one of the stools. She was wiping down some of the mugs that she must have just cleaned.

"Yes, well, I have a lot of catching up to do at school and a lot of homework," Alayna laughed. "I barely have any time for myself."

"I hope you do make some time. It's not good to be studying for hours on end."

"That's why I'm here," Alayna smiled as she accepted the mug of butterbeer that Sirona floated over to her. "Well, partly."

"Come to shop too?" Sirona leaned on the counter as she inquired.

"No, actually. I wanted to ask...the day I came in here after the troll attack I saw a goblin leaving. Do you know him well?"

"Lodgok? Why do you want to know about him?" Alayna took a sip of her butterbeer, trying to figure out what to say without giving away too much of what was going on.

"Well, with the rumors of the goblin rebellion I was a little surprised that you seemed to trust him."

"He is unique in that he doesn't hold the same hatred towards wizardkind that many goblins do."

"Do you think he would be willing to help a witch then?"

"Help? With what? Actually, never mind maybe I shouldn't ask that. I'm not sure, but there's no harm in asking. He's likely to be at the Hog's Head right now." Sirona straightened from where she had been leaning and gave Alayna a serious look. "Just be careful, alright? Lots of unsavory folk like to hang out at that place."

"Yes, ma'am." Alayna quickly chugged down the rest of her butterbeer and pulled out the coin to pay for it.

"Don't worry about it. Consider that your reward for defeating a troll, the last one was for your first time." Sirona gave her a wink and walked away to check in on some of the tables in the tavern.

"Thanks, Sirona!" Alayna smiled as she finished off her drink. She left the empty mug on the bar and hurried out to find the Hog's Head. The only other tavern in the village, it was in an area that Alayna had yet to venture into given the appearance of the buildings around it. They screamed danger and the people who hung out in the streets there screamed that too. She kept her head down as she headed to the building at the end of the lane and stepped inside.