1: Can't take my eyes off you

CHAPTER 1

“C’mon Ali, mom’s waiting downstairs.” Lorenzo called me. I didn’t want to go to this damn party. Dapat ay minamaneho ko ngayon ang sports car ko at nakikipag-racing sa mga kaibigan ko. But after the stunt that an opponent pulled on my last game, my parents have forbid me to enter the track.

He kept on bumping my car and when he bumped me real hard, my car hit the wall of the track and caused me to be hospitalized for weeks. I was so angry that I need to wait for another month to get my favorite Lamborghini Aventador. Pero mas galit ang papa ko dahil sa askidenteng iyon.

My mom was crying the whole time I was at the hospital. And because of that, my dad looked like he could kill me for being irresponsible and for making the love of his life cry for weeks. 

But I guess old habits die hard.

I’m still racing, pero sobrang dalang nalang. I have had taken classes for taekwondo, polo, and even learned to play pool. But nothing makes my heart race than the thrill of being chased and the sound of my sports car as I go faster and faster.

We were greeting the guests as they come in the large event hall of my dad’s hotel. It was the 35th anniversary of the Rizzo Chain Hotels and I am obliged to go as the eldest son of Lucio Emmanuel Rizzo. 

It was so boring, exchanging nonsense with strangers that I will never meet again. People trying to win me by giving unnecessary praises and compliments. The forced small talks. The moment I entered college, I knew that I’m not cut out for managing business. I wanted adventure, the thrill of challenging myself to my limits. I hate being tied down to a place, or an office, doing the exact same thing everyday. 

Iniisip ko na kung paano tumakas matapos bumati sa mga dumarating na bisita nang may lumapit sa amin. This woman, wearing a very simple, yet attracting maroon dress, came to us and greeted my parents a ‘congratulations’.

She looked…simple. The kind that gets prettier the more you look at her. Her eyes looked even more attractive because of her long lashes, batting as she talk to my mother. 

"...And this is my eldest son, Alessandro Deniz Rizzo." I heard my mom but I lost concentration on what she was saying when the woman tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

I must be hallucinating 'cause her lips were moving slowly, it's distracting me. And her wavy dark chocolate hair rested on her delicate waist, I wonder if my hand would fit just right on that...damn.

She was smiling and shaking my sister's hands when she met my gaze. Hindi ko namalayan na inalok niya akong makipag kamay nang ibaba niya na iyon para abutin naman ang sa kapatid ko. I cursed myself for the lost opportunity.

“Thank you for being a good manager iha. The hotel will not reach its success without the people behind it, without your hard work and competence.” My mom said. 

Umiwas ako ng tingin nang mahuli niya nanaman ako. What the hell am I doing, gawking at someone so boldly in front of me. I didn’t even got her name because I was too busy searching for her flaw. 

“You’re alone? I guess you didn’t bring your boyfriend with you?” My mom asked.

Oh shit.

“Well, he’s abroad madam.” Parang nakakairita lang na pangiti ngiti siya samantalang pinabayaan siya ng boyfriend niya dito mag-isa.

My mom asked Lorenzo to get some wine while she’s still talking to the woman. What’s her name again?

“Nga pala, how’s Daisy? I heard she will start her school already?” My mom asked. 

Nang nakatawag ng waiter ang kapatid ko ay kumuha ako ng isang basong wine doon. My mom gestured me to give a glass to the fine lady in front of me. When I handed her the wine, her fingers touched mine for a second. 

She looked at me briefly then returned her attention to my mother. Araw araw silang magkasama sa opisina, hindi pa siya nananawa sa mama ko? Why is she even not looking at me? I noticed that she would sometimes talk to Feliz…even with Lorenzo, but me.

“I won’t hold you back, thanks for coming Yanni.” My mom said before she let the woman go.

“Who’s the stunning woman ma?” I asked mom. She raised her brow at me.

“Don’t even dare play with her Ali. She’s a decent and hardworking woman!” 

“I don’t play with girls ma. Si Lorenzo iyong ganon ang ugali.” I defended myself.

“Bakit ako nasali?!” Feliz laughed at my brother's reaction.

“She has a boyfriend Ali.” Mom warned me. 

“I’m just asking.”

“I bet she won’t even look your way. Hindi niya tipo ang mga tulad mong...hmm, say...adventurous.” Feliz commented. I rolled my eyes at her.

“Her name’s Yanni. Yanni Gonzalez. Even if she’s single, I won’t want you for her. Your hobbies are a headache Ali! Baka dumagdag ka pa sa pasakit ng ulo niya.” 

My mom and her hatred with my hobbies will forever be my dilemma. 

“Akala mo ba hindi ko malalaman ang nabangga mong bagong kotse ni Lorenzo? You’re a bigger headache than your younger brother!” She whined.

"You're such a tattle tale." Bulong ko sa kapatid na nagkibit balikat lang.

Then she started listing down my 'dangerous' activities for the past months.

Nawala ang pakikinig ko sakaniya nang mahagip nanaman ng mata ko ang empleyado nila mama. 

Yanni Gonzalez.

She caught me looking. When I thought that she’ll look another way, her eyebrow raised at me. A smirk formed my lips.

I don’t date women who are bossy…like my mom. Women who don't understand my hobbies and will do anything to make me settle. Women who’s too workaholic and uses most of her time staying inside her office. Especially women who asks so many questions about my whereabouts all the time. 

She looked like that type of woman.

But as she continue to stare at me, not backing down, I had a better look on her face. She has a feisty yet innocent look that I find very…attractive.

Her eyes are very brown. There's something in her that makes me want to follow her every whim. I thought that I might try a change of preference in women.

But well, I also don't date women who have a boyfriend.

Too bad she’s taken.