2: Champagne problems

CHAPTER 2

"I'm so sorry, but I'm not marrying you." I told him. Everyone gasped as they heard my statement.

The sour look on his face, the whispers of the crowd, the musicians who stopped in confusion, his ring still in his hands, everything is the exact opposite of what should happen in a marriage proposal.

Hindi ko din maintindihan ang sarili ko. I've been anticipating this moment. Him on his knees, asking me those 4 words, preparing our wedding, and building a family with him. But now that it's happening, parang hindi ko kaya.

Lalo na dahil sa mga hinala ko sakaniya nitong mga nakaraang araw.

"What do you mean you can't marry me?" He whispered in a strong accent. He is a half-Filipino, half-American, and we've been together for 2 years. I was so in love with him, despite our cultural differences.

"Stand up Jacob, don't make a scene please." I whispered back.

Tumayo siya na medyo nahihiya pa. Hindi padin tumutuloy ang musicians, at parang nakaabang sa bawat galaw namin ang mga tao dito sa restaurant kung saan kami unang nag-date.

"Why are you saying no Yanni? Aren't you the one who wants this more than me?" Aniya. Tumaas ang kilay ko at natunugan ang panunumbat niya doon.

Yes i've been hinting him about marriage for 3 months. I was sure about him, about us. But that was 3 months ago!

"Can we talk about this at home?" I whispered as I sat on my seat. "Bill please." Mahinahong sabi ko sa waiter na nakaabang doon.

Hindi magkanda ugaga na sumunod ang waiter. The steaks that we ordered are now cold, ni hindi pa bawas ang ibang pagkain. Nakakapanghinayang pero parang hindi maganda ipa take out. Parang ang kapal naman ng mukha ko kung ganon nga ang gagawin ko.

"I can't believe how you are so chill about this Yanni, you refused my proposal, in front of this crowd!" He almost shouted before he left.

I was not born rich, kaya sobrang nakakahiya man, pina take out ko na ang pagkain. Turns out everything was already paid, may kasama pang maliit na dessert. Holding a cake, a bottle of wine, and 2 sets of steaks, I went outside to wait for a bus to ride home.

I'm not being petty. I really did want to get married to him. Not only that I loved him, but he also is a man with a stable job, doesn't smoke, and is against violence. He was what I was dreaming of. He strayed out of all the vices that I hate, but he cheated.

I saw him once coming out of a hotel room with a woman. He was holding her by the waist, humahalik halik pa sa may tainga neto.

I am one of the hotel managers of the Rizzo Chains of Hotels, specifically the Human Resource manager, for 5 years already. Nagsumikap ako ng maigi para lang maabot ang lahat ng ito. I was ready to give this up just to prioritize a family with him, but as soon as I saw him with his woman, parang nakakatawa nalang na handa kong isuko ang pinaghirapan kong career para sa hindi pa naman nabubuong pamilya sa utak ko.

I told myself that maybe, I'm only hallucinating. Na baka nagkakamali ako at baka kahawig niya lang ang nakita ko. I tried to ask him about his whereabouts that day, but he has a perfect alibi. So I chose to trust in him.

But when I went to one of his company dinners, I saw the same girl. It was the daughter of his supervisor. Hindi ko malilimutan ang tinginan at pasimple nilang sanggian ng braso. I then caught them in the bathroom of that restaurant, but I never intruded. I refuse to humiliate myself.