Chapter Twelve

•·················•·················••·················•·················•

"Harper," I grumble out. She has my hand in hers and is dragging me along the sidewalk. Why does everyone just grab my hand and drag me along?

"Come on, you look hot." Harpers full perky attitude is back up and running. "Well be able to skip the line."

I'm not sure if I wanted to skip the line. It's a huge line filled mostly with college-aged frat boys, it gave me a sneak peek into what waits inside. I had hoped that we would be turned away at the door until Harper got close to the bouncer and batted her lashes at him. She had somehow worked her sunshine magic on him and in seconds I'm being pulled inside. I had decided on jeans, a top that wasn't much more than a bikini top with a little fringe, and high heels. Harper on the other hand was in a small dress, with a plunging neckline. One I thought looked amazing on her, but I was unsure if my pale, thicker legs would look as good in such a short dress.

I'm led to the bar, where Harper elbows her way between some people to order our drinks. No, I hadn't told her what I liked, but I'd be okay with anything as long as it wasn't too strong. I didn't want to show up to work hungover. And if it was too strong, I'd just sip it.

Standing a few feet behind Harper, I look up at the decorations behind the bar. It's a beautiful shattered mirror type of thing with rows and rows of shelves with almost any bottle of alcohol you'd ever want. The shattered mirror had chunks of frosted effect, but the one in front of me and Harper had a clear enough spot to my right, allowing me to see the guy creeping up on me.

"Do you like blow jobs or sex on the beach?" He was close enough that I could pick up the scent of beer on his breath and the heat of his body on my back. It makes an uncomfortable shiver go up my spine and gives me a gross feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Half turning, I take a step back putting space between us. I'm sure I'm not hiding the disgust on my face when I ask, "Excuse me?"

"I'm talking about cocktails." He gives me what he probably thinks is a cheeky charming smile. When in reality he stumbles a little when someone walks too close to him. He was drunk off his ass at 9 pm.

"I think you need water, and to look up better pick-up lines."

Apparently, the disgust on my face and my trying to shut him down doesn't work. He just smiles again. "I want to buy you a drink."

"Too late, she's with me." Harper had turned around and taken a few steps to press herself to my side. A glass of something bright pink is pushed into my hands. She gives the guy a once-over. "You're too young for her anyway, go find someone else to harass."

He looks stunned in his drunken stupor like he was trying to process what Harper had just said. We take the opening to scurry off to the dance floor, where I take a sip of my fruity cocktail. Strawberry, lime, something super sweet and I knew it would be something I'd have to sip. Harper and I danced together, drinks in hand. It feels good to be letting loose after being stressed out from the move and starting a new job. The loud beat of music beats through me, there's a fog machine somewhere giving the lit up dance floor a crazy effect. It was extremely hot in the mix of bodies.

It isn't until both our drinks are gone and I have a sheen of sweat on my body that I pull Harper away. I didn't want to be alone in the club. When we got back to the bar I ordered a water, there was no way I'd be drinking more. Harper presses closer to me as we squeeze in at the bar.

"What made you want to be a doctor?" Harper asks it loudly into my ear to be heard over the music and chatter.

I raise a brow at her. "That's a deep question to ask while we're at a club."

"I'm curious."

"I'll answer if you do." I offer and she nods her head enthusiastically. "My mom's been a nurse for all of her working career, my dad was a paramedic then went back to school to be an anesthesiologist. I guess they always just inspired me to be in the medical field."

Harper nods in thought, and I watch her expectantly. She gives me a small smile before she speaks. "My parents also kind of inspired me to be in the medical field. They just expected me to be a therapist like they are."

"Oh, that must have been fun to grow up with." I joke with her and she rolls her eyes, there is a small smile on her face as she does it though.

"It was annoying at times, but it made them more understanding." I could see that, but it would also be unnerving to always be around someone who could easily read me.

"On a different note." Harper has turned so she's fully facing me, chest pressed up to my arm. There's a light bulb that goes off when I see the glint in her steel gray eyes and see her slowly up turned lips. It wasn't her normal sunshine smile, it was a sultry smile. Her tongue came out to wet her bottom lip before she spoke. "What are your opinions on workplace romance?"

My mouth drops open as my brain scrambles with something to say. I didn't want to hurt her feelings but I wasn't interested in her like that. "You are a very beautiful woman.."

Her eyes round and her smile drops. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I thought you were interested in women."

"I mean I'm bi-curious but.."

"You're in a relationship." She nods understandingly.

I wasn't in one, not really. I didn't want to lie to her so I told her, "It's complicated."

"Well." Her sunshine smile appears back onto her face, seemingly shaking off the conversation. Too bad men couldn't do that as easily. "We can still be friends, so let's go dance some more."