Chapter Seventeen

•·················•·················••·················•·················•

"So." I start ripping off a slice of pizza. It had just gotten here and my stomach growled at the scent of it. "Where is Travis during all of this?"

"He went to school today, my mom promised to pick him up and I bet right now he's into his second R-rated movie with my dad." That made me smile thinking about it, then I moaned when I took a large bite of hot pizza.

"Stop moaning Mouse, give my dick a break for a little while." A choked laugh escapes me, he shakes his head at me and takes a bite of his pizza slice. We sit in comfortable silence for a few minutes as we eat our pizza slices and a few of the breadsticks. He shoves the rest of his breadstick into his mouth, chews, swallows then asks me. "Did you really think I just left?"

I shrug, picking a piece of sausage off of my next slice and popping it into my mouth. "I asked you to get me something a lot of men would be uncomfortable getting. I didn't know what to think when I saw all of your stuff gone."

He lets out a snort, and once again his head slowly shakes. "Mouse, I am a full-grown man with a kid. Shit like a plan B or even tampons isn't going to scare me off."

It sucks that my first reaction is that he left, it just made sense at the moment. A lot of younger guys, and let's be honest, guys my age too are weird about things they shouldn't be. I guess I had just become used to that when Dice wasn't like most other guys. I shouldn't treat him like one. In hopes of changing the subject to something lighter I ask. "So you're close with your parents?"

Thankfully, he easily changes the subject. "My house is down the block from my parents. When Travis was born they were over the moon, my mom had always wanted more kids but couldn't because of health reasons."

A smile forms on my face, picturing Nancy cooing over a baby Travis and a frazzled Dice. That must have been funny to see. "My parents are similar. Though my mom could have more kids she didn't realize she wanted more until it was too late."

"Are they pining for grandkids?" Dices asks, I nod and he smirks. "Good luck with dealing with them. Parents can be pushy when it comes to grandkids."

Oh I knew that was the truth. It was only when I was a year out from graduation that they stopped asking. They had told me they would be back asking me about it though after my first year of residency. I wasn't looking forward to that.

"Now that we know we live close," Dice said, changing the subject himself. "What do you think about dates?"

This question caught me more off guard, but it made me giddy that he had asked it. "Like dating?"

"Like me taking you out on a date, yes."

"Like a date and fuck or a date date?" My smile starts to hurt my cheeks, and Dice's eyes narrow onto me.

"Preferably both."

"So, not just one night?" I ask and he scoffs.

"That was fucking stupid of me to say." He admits to me. "Most of the time it is just one night, but I knew the moment I saw you sneaking around like a mouse, I wanted more."

"I was not sneaking around." I say indignantly, he just gives me a look that says, 'Yeah right'. "I also was only just planning on one night, with work coming I knew I wouldn't have time to date."

"Does that still stand?" He asks and I roll my lip through my teeth.

"I need you to understand that work comes first for me, at least for now while I'm training."

"I understand that you have what, a year or two of residency?" He asks and I nod. "If we can manage to get together maybe let's say, every week? I'd be fine with you focusing on work. If you can handle the fact that I travel for my job."

"Text or call me when you have a chance to let me know the trip is going well?" I ask him back.

"Of course."

"Then I think I can handle that." Honestly, I could see being sad at him gone, but with how much I'm expected to work, the time he's gone will pass by quickly.

"Seeing as you already meet my mother and son, I'd like to invite you to dinner at my parents. They usually cook a big dinner every Sunday night." His invitation makes my eyes go wide.

"Isn't that, kinda soon? Having dinner with parents is a serious thing, no?"

Dice leans over the pizza box, grabbing my chin and I don't fight him when he pulls me forward. His lips press a soft kiss to my lips, and my shoulders drop at how gentle he is. I couldn't decide if I liked this or him being rough and straight to the point more. He only pulls away an inch, and when he speaks his breath fans over my lips. "I haven't been on an actual date with the intention of sticking around long in over ten years, Mouse. So if you agree to this, a relationship, it will be serious. That means when you can make it family dinners, cookouts at the club, or movie nights with the kid. All of it."

It sounded so domestic, so normal, and it was something that really appealed to me. I never thought I'd be one to agree to date someone with a kid, but here I was, giving Dice a slow nod. "Okay."

"Okay." He repeats, then his lips are pressing back into mine.