Part 6: Meeting

Kakashi woke up to the feeling of being buried under his kids. He remembers hearing them sneak into his room in the middle of the night. He, of course, didn't mind it. He was sure this was good for all of them. This team has been through so much, and most of them have yet to reach adulthood. It was better to feel his students' breath around him. Carefully removing himself from the bed, Kakashi made his way to the kitchen. Now, contrary to popular belief, Kakashi did know how to cook. He just didn't like to. Deciding on a simple breakfast, the white-haired man started on some pancakes. Once done, he laid the table and sat down. He picked up his old notebook from its hiding place. It helped to write down his thoughts to keep his mind clear of any doubts. It was a trick Kushina taught him. Keep your most painful, difficult-to-explain memories or ideas on paper. It helped ease his mind. This journal hasn't seen the light of day since the Kyuubi attack. Now it would serve as a place to collect their plans and ideas.

-------

Naruto woke up feeling rather comfortable. He couldn't recall the last time he slept so well. The war messed them up beyond reason. He reached out to feel for his team, but his hand grabbed at nothing. His heart rate picked up. Where did the others go? Were they in trouble? Thankfully his spiralling thoughts were interrupted by the sound of laughter coming from the kitchen. Following the sound, he found his family, because what were they if not his family? They were sitting around the small kitchen table eating and talking. 

"Ohayo, Naruto!" Sakura's cheerful greeting was followed by a wave from Kakashi and a nod from Sasuke. The blond immediately felt a wave of calm run over him. His brain was just messing with him.

"Ohayo, guys." he greeted them as well, snapping out of his thoughts." So what are we doin' today?" 

"We train of course." Kakashi placed his notebook down to look at the kids around his table. "And I'll have that meeting today about the genin teams too." Kakashi sighed, he did always hate meetings." So while that is happening why don't the three of you go get yourselves new gear?" Their sensei's eyes crinkled with a smile.

-------

The training field Sensei brought them to was in the middle of the woods. Honestly, Sakura had no idea there even was one so far from the rest. In the middle, there were three wooden posts, it was nostalgic if nothing else. 

"All right!" Kakashi-sensei called, stopping in front of the posts."Right now what matters the most is to get all of you back into strong bodies that can handle your powers, once that is done will we move on to new skills." He said it with such a cheer that if you didn't know him well enough you'd think he wasn't serious. "So you kids will all get a personalised training plan to get your stamina, chakra levels and control, and all that up to at least chunin level before Wave." As he said that, he gave all three of them a piece of paper.

"Okay... And what will you do while we work our butts off,dattebayo?"

"Well, Naruto, first off, I have a meeting of the Jonin sensei's to get to. And after that, I'll be joining you three with my training. Don't think I'll be slacking off. All of us will have to work twice as hard as before. Now I better get going. Don't want to be late!" With that, he disappeared in a swirl of leaves. 

"So, let's get started?" Sakura's question was answered by the two boys dropping their gazes at their papers.

-------

Kakashi felt a bit bad about leaving the kids to train on their own, but he had things to do. First the meeting. He wasn't lying when he said he'd rather not be late. After all, he had to pull himself together to see so many of his fellow shinobi. Most of them died during the war. Getting to the Hokage's office so early was difficult, but Kakashi is one of the best so the unease he felt was not something anyone else would notice. When he entered the office a few other jonin were already there, no one he was particularly close to. Their faces upon seeing Kakashi was rather comical. "Good morning, Kakashi." The third greeted him quickly, putting a smile on his face, but Kakashi saw the surprise in his eyes.

"Mornin'." He greeted the kage with a small nod of acknowledgement. Stepping into a dark corner of the room, Kakashi looked around, noting the ANBU stationed inside. He recognised all of them, it seemed Hiruzen had chosen trusted members. It only took a few more minutes for the rest of the Jonin to arrive. Every time someone Kakashi lost entered, he had to take a moment to collect himself.

"Alright," The Hokage started, and everyone snapped to attention." I am glad to see all of you are here, on time." At this point, he shot another look at Kakashi, who had to push away the smile creeping upon his face, even if no one saw it."Let's get to the point of this meeting. Team 1?" His question was answered by a young Jonin. 

"Fail."

"Team 2?" The old man continued. Another negative answer. It went on like this until,

"Team 7?" Everyone looked bored already anticipating the negative answer. Kakashi took a moment to look around before answering.

"Pass."Short and simple, and yet it had the expected effect. It took Hiruzen a moment to process the information, before continuing.

"Team 8?"

"...Pass." Came the unsure answer from Kurenai. Kakashi took a moment to bask in his success of shocking the whole office, before tuning out the rest of the meeting.

Needless to say, Kakashi counted this meeting among one the few good ones.