𝟎𝟎𝟗; ʀᴏsᴇ ᴛʜᴏʀɴs

HARRISON SMILED at Kaz whom was unnerved, as a creature as dangerous as Harrison should not look that tempting.

Kaz knew all too well that beneath that perfect exterior lay a heart of stone, an intolerant little shit who reveled in causing Kaz pain.

What Kaz didn't know was that Harrison had a secret motive for playing chess with him. For Harrison saw something in Kaz, something that he couldn't quite put his finger on. It was like a labyrinth, a maze of thoughts and emotions that Harrison longed to explore, to unravel and dissect until he understood every facet of the enigma that was Kaz Brekker.

As the chess pieces danced across the board like dancers in a grand ball, each move calculated and precise, the players' minds locked in a fierce battle of strategy and intellect.

Kaz Brekker's eyes flickered back and forth between his opponent and the board, searching for any hint, any clue to the mysterious Harrison Blackthorn's next move. Yet the young man across from him remained an enigma, his face unreadable, his eyes focused solely on the game at hand.

While Kaz studied the board, his mind racing with possibilities, while Harrison watched him with a keen eye, searching for any hint, any clue to the labyrinth that lay within.

For Harrison was fascinated by Kaz, by the way his mind worked, by the depths of his intellect and the complexity of his emotions. He longed to take him apart piece by piece, to understand everything about him, especially his heart.

As the match wore on, Kaz felt the weight of his opponent's skill bearing down on him, like a crushing weight on his chest. He made his moves carefully, trying to anticipate Harrison's next move, but each time he was met with a fierce counterattack that left him reeling.

"Chess is war over a board." Harrison said, his voice low and smooth like honey. "The object is to crush the opponent's mind."

Kaz could feel the tension in the air, like an electric current humming between them. He knew that he was outmatched, that Harrison had already gotten inside his head and was playing him like a puppet on a string.

But then, just as he was about to make his next move, Harrison spoke again, his voice softening.

"I wouldn't do that to you, Birdy." He said, a sly smile curling the corners of his lips. "Your mind fascinates me. It would be a shame to break it."

The words hung in the air like a promise, and Kaz felt a flicker of something deep within him, like a spark igniting a flame. He looked up at Harrison, seeing him in a new light.

Kaz studied the board, his mind racing with possibilities. He saw a way out of the corner he had backed himself into, a way to turn the tables on Harrison and claim victory.

So as he made his move, he felt a rush of adrenaline, like a warrior charging into battle, his heart pounding in his chest. For in that moment, he knew that he wasn't just playing a game of chess. He was fighting for his very soul.

The chessboard lay before them, a battlefield of black and white, the pieces frozen in mid motion. Kaz's eyes were fixed on the board, his mind racing as he calculated his next move. He had been playing against Harrison for what felt like hours, and the tension between them was palpable.

Just as Kaz was about to make his move, Harrison swooped in with a quick and unexpected maneuver, claiming Kaz's king with a single, devastating blow.

"Checkmate." Harrison said, his voice low and smooth, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

Kaz felt a surge of frustration and anger rise up within him, like a tempestuous storm. He had been so close, so sure of his victory, and yet once again, Harrison had managed to outsmart him.