\ Chapter 12 /

"Well, congratulations, I'm still breathing." Rebecca rolled her eyes as she stood up, realizing she was still in her prior party clothing. "You can go now."

"Listen, Rebecca, the way you were last night..." Colby shook his head as he tried to reason with her during the little time he knew he had. "It's not good for you."

Rebecca didn't want to know what she got up to the night before, especially from the pure look of concern on Colby's face. But she didn't want to buy into whatever scam he was involved with either. The confusion along with the hangover was enough to drive her nuts, and she wanted nothing more than to pop some pills and coast on her typical wave of numbness.

"You have no right to scold me." She crossed her arms with bitterness lacing her voice. "You're the same way. You think I forgot?"

"It's different now." Colby spoke hesitantly. "I'm better. I can help you be better. What happens when you hit rock bottom?"

He swallowed hard, not wanting to be taken back to that time. Even if it were only a few short years ago. Yet, he couldn't help but allow flashes and glimpses to slip between the cracks of his mind every now and then, even when he was out of town.

"You can't help me do shit." She laughed, moving towards him, pointing her finger at his chest. "And as hard as you may try to deny it. You know that deep down, you're responsible for that."

"You can't blame everyone but yourself." Colby reminded her, taking a step in her direction as they met in the middle, and her finger hit his chest.

"Hypocrite." Rebecca forced herself to remain unwavering as she could feel his steady heartbeat on her fingertip ever so slightly.

"I've taken accountability." Colby spoke softly, refusing to lose his train of thought while having Rebecca's touch willingly against him again, even if she was purposefully trying to push a hole through him.

"Not all..." Rebecca's eyelashes fluttered as she felt Colby's hand gently grab hers and lower it away from his chest, holding it in a resting state. "Of what you owe."

The both of them stared at one another in complete silence, neither moving. Both refused to break eye contact with the other until a lock clicked, and the door opened.

"Hey Becks." A shorter man with a black buzz cut walked in with some bags in hand, not even noticing the two as he locked the door, yet stopping in his tracks after turning around. "I just..."

"Uh, Fergal." Rebecca ripped her hand out of Colby's as she returned it to its formerly crossed position against her chest.

"Nice to meet you." Colby moved towards the man, who was looking him up and down, pausing for a particularly long time to study the graphic designs on his shirt. "I'm Colby."

"Ah." Realization struck his face before a strange smile seemed to tug at Fergal's lips as Colby extended his hand for a shake. Colby could smell the possessive nature from a mile away. "So you're Colby."

"He was just leaving." Rebecca took an assertive step forward.

Fergal suspiciously shook his hand in return as Colby laughed. "No. I'm actually here to help Rebecca-"

"He was just leaving." Rebecca shoved him from behind, forcing him towards the door.

"I was just leaving." Colby pressed his lips together as he continued to get shoved out of the apartment before mumbling. "I guess."

Once Rebecca successfully locked Colby out, she let out a breath, shook herself off and turned to see Fergal looking at her with a raised eyebrow. She couldn't quite read his expression. In fact, she was sure she hadn't seen him ever make such a face.

She didn't know what to say or how to react. She felt caught off guard, not just by Colby but by Fergal. She didn't want to deal with any of it, yet she found herself without a choice in the matter.

Rebecca smiled at him halfheartedly. "I didn't know you were coming today."

Fergal moved and placed the bags he was carrying onto the kitchen counters. "Wouldn't have had your ex with you if you did?"

"We're not seeing each other or anything." Rebecca questioned her own sudden defensiveness, hearing and feeling it weigh down her words like molasses on her tongue. "He's just back in town... visiting, I guess."

Fergal scoffed, still trying not to lose his cool as he unloaded some groceries onto the counter. "You guess."

"What?" Rebecca suddenly found Fergal's presence extremely agitating. "It's not like I want him around."

"Sure you don't." Fergal shook his head with an irritated smile. "He said he was... helping you. With what?"

Rebecca laughed nervously, upset at the fact she felt so uncomfortable. "I don't know where he was going with that. It's the first time I've seen him in like years."

"I know how you two were... you told me." Fergal looked at the counter in front of him seriously. "I thought you were doing well?"

"I am." Rebecca assured him with a proud but false smile. "Strictly a casual drinker now."

She moved to him and hugged him from behind. "Because of your help. You know that."

Fergal seemed to resort to a less tense state. "Just don't forget who got you in that mess to begin with."

Rebecca backed away, feeling suddenly self-conscious, knowing the truth. It was a thought that was always on her mind, but she never dared verbalize it before. "Who? Me?"

"No." Fergal turned to Rebecca. "Him."