beginning in bangkok

Chan had just turned 20 and was in Bangkok for the first time.
He came from a small village in the mountains of northern Thailand.
Actually, he led a very nice life there.
Had everything he needed and always tried to be a credit to his family as well as his future in-laws.
His parents had chosen a wife for him years ago. Not uncommon in such small villages, as the choice of women was very limited.

He had met her a few times before. She was nice and likeable, but unfortunately much too good for him.
In his parents' eyes, she was the perfect daughter-in-law, but Chan knew he would never make her happy.
He had tried to show and explain his "other side" to her, but she just ran away in shock and wanted to break off the engagement, but unfortunately neither of their parents played along.
On the contrary, they then organized an extensive engagement party.

Chan knew his obligation to his family and agreed.
He promised his fiancee that he would never make any claims against her regarding his inclination, and so she agreed too.
However, a month before their marriage, his parents became seriously ill and were unable to work, and his siblings were far too young to support him effectively.
Chan definitely didn't have the opportunity to earn enough money in his small home village to earn enough money for his parents and his 4 siblings.

He decided to take this opportunity.
Now he finally had an excuse to leave his home village, because he had always been drawn to far away places.
Sure, he actually had a perfect, quiet and tranquil life here, but it was almost too quiet for him.
He wanted to do more with his life.

Relatives of his future in-laws lived in Bangkok and got him a job there.
As soon as he had made enough money and had some footing, his fiancée would follow.

When he arrived at Bangkok's main train station, however, he suddenly wasn't so sure that coming here was such a good idea.
So many people, it was loud and restless and he would have liked to drive back straight away, but he had no choice. He urgently needed to earn money.
However, it was still not clear to him how this was supposed to work, as he only had a simple school-leaving certificate.

His future relatives got him jobs in various delivery services, so he was able to get by relatively well in the first few weeks.
Which was enough for him to pay for food and accommodation, but in the end there was hardly anything left for his family, no matter how hard he saved.

'I urgently need an alternative!' he thought desperately after a month.
One evening, as he was strolling through the streets of Bangkok, he overheard two men talking secretly and said:
"The fights are down at the harbor tonight. There are some new faces and it could get interesting again, in the betting. There might be more men signing up for the fights too. So let's hurry, not that them start without us and we end up losing a fortune!"

Chan prick up his ears.

In his hometown he often took part in such fights, albeit less to earn money than to defend friends or siblings from would-be Raudis.
Even if he didn't believe in these illegal fights at all, maybe these were his chance to finally make more money, even if he didn't really think he would win any of them.

He followed the two men at a safe distance and decided to just look at the whole thing first.
But when he got there, it was immediately clear that there were not just "simple spectators".
Either you got into the bets with a tidy sum, or you had to fight yourself.
Since he didn't have any money with him, or not enough to get in, his only option was to compete as a fighter himself.
And looking at all these beefcakes, he could only lose, and at best, he'd only end up with a few broken bones.

Chan had no idea what the rules were, he was just trying to pull through and survive.
After the 3rd round he was sure that there were no rules at all.
Fight and survive was the motto!