Chapter 7

9yrs

“Alright, Harry. Just like we practised. Separate out the birth magic from the adoption magic.”

Rumour waited while Harry focused and then, slowly he felt the De Silver Magics pull away from Harry.

“Good, very good. Now the hard bit… push some of the birth magic into the block…” Gesturing at the small block of wood in front of Harry.

Rumour felt the block absorb the magic and it began to emanate the same Magical Signature as the toys that Dumbledore had provided for his Order to use to recognise Harry Potter’s Signature by.

“Excellent, Harry.”

Harry grinned at Rumour and quickly glanced over at Draco, who gave him a beaming smile.

“Are you ready for the next step?”

Harry winced. He knew that the next step meant going to a muggle hospital and then to the children’s End Care ward.

“Do we know who he was? And what about the people that had him?”

It was Draco that spoke, he saw Harry’s discomfort, he always saw Harry’s discomfort first.

“No… no, we don’t. There’s no record of his birth and the identities of the three people found with him have been found to be falsified. But, Harry? He’s the only child that matches you, in age, in size and in build and Shieldsplitter is confident that he can transfer the taint of Dumbledore’s bindings to the boy’s core… after you create it. Sweetfurrow wants to bond the left-overs of your scar to the boy’s head, she feels that it will just cement him being Harry Potter to the Aurors.”

“I know… I just… He deserves better than to be used like this.” Harry whispered.

“Harry?” Draco approached from the side of the room. “What if… what if we gave him a name? Ourselves? Gave him a name and a birthday. We will always remember him.”

“I have a potential solution.” Regulus said. “We don’t know who he was, but… maybe we can change who he is. Rumour? What happens when a wizard Blood Adopts a muggle? How does that change the muggle? Does that change the muggle? Does that make them a squib or do they stay a muggle?”

Rumour saw where Regulus was going with this.

“No, Smoke. A wizard Blood Adopting a muggle, someone without a Magical core, doesn’t change anything for the muggle, but their name. It won’t bring them into Wizarding bloodlines, not even a goblin inheritance test will show anything. No one in the Wizarding world would know who he was.”

“But we’d know.” Regulus argued. “We’d know that he was adopted into a family.”

“We would.” Rumour agreed.

“Then… before you and Harry… give him Harry Potter’s Magical Signature, I want to adopt him. We can give him a name and a birthday, during the adoption.”

“Just remember, Smoke, it’s only if Lady Magic accepts the adoption, that the potion will become undetectable, otherwise, we’ll have to wait 48 hours before we can add a Signature. I’m not sure he’ll last that long.” Rumour hesitated to add the last sentence, but it needed to be said.

“I know… but I think it’s worth it. For our peace of mind and bluntly, boss, like Harry said, this boy deserves to be remembered.”

Rumour thought about it quietly for a few minutes. He could see Harry and Draco discussing names, but it was the quiet desperation on Regulus’ face that decided him. Regulus had sacrificed so much, it was time he got something back.