Chapter 9

Silence echoed in the Great Hall.

The first sound was missed by most, a bare breath of noise, it slowly built until it was a rush of wind. Then a clap of thunder filled the spaces left behind.

The wind and light gathered and pooled in a corner of the Hall behind the staff table and from the stonework a shape appeared.

The shape looked like a candle-flame, flickering and dancing in the wind. Colours began to show in the flame’s edging, the blue and silver of Ravenclaw, the yellow and black of Hufflepuff, the red and gold of Gryffindor, the green and silver of Slytherin and the black and silver of Merlin.

“Alistair, as always, you are the voice of Hogwarts.” Death reminded. He crossed the room and leant a hip against the Merlin table. Much to the distress of the students.

“I am.” The sorting Hat said. “And she is not pleased.”

“Hat…” Dumbledore began.

“Shut up, old man. I’ve got higher orders that yours. Did you know that there are three Heirs of the Founders in this Hall right now? And you’re not one of them. You swore an Oath to protect this school… and yes, you’ve done that. But… you also took an Oath to protect the students… and that you have not done. Neither Hogwarts nor myself could do anything about that until the Founder’s Heirs claimed their inheritances. Now that they have… We, Hogwarts and I, have called on Lady Magic to judge you for breaking your Oaths.”

Dumbledore paled and looked to the doors of the Hall, only to find them sealed, solid surfaces.

The flame floated and danced across the platform until it reached the Hat, a flare of flame reached out to the Hat and danced along it’s bream. The voice that emerged this time was that of a female.

“You were supposed to guard my children, instead you sent them where you knew they would be harmed. Lady Magic is more forgiving than I. She will allow you to keep your life.” The flame lifted away from the Hat.

“But Hogwarts get to keep your magic.” The Hat’s original voice returned.

The two comments caused whispers and chattering amongst both the students and the staff.

“I am Headmaster-” Dumbledore began.

“Not anymore, you’re not.” The Hat crowed. “Now, you are an Oathbreaker.”

Everyone saw the flames reach out and envelop Dumbledore, they all saw the shimmering silver/white of magic spew from the man’s mouth.

“Now, you are a muggle. Now you have no magic at all, not even the empty core of a squib.”

Gasps and not a few near hysterical giggles were heard.

“But Lady Magic is also a female. And like any female protecting her young, she is vicious.” Death spoke again. “She has declared you immunda and notandum levium. Your vaults, less the money you stole from Hogwarts and the students, will be transferred to a muggle bank. No one is to give you shelter or assistance. You are a muggle, now, but because Lady Magic is a vindictive female, you will still be able to see magical places. You just won’t be able to interact with them.”

“Your personal possessions, those that a muggle can have, will be packed and taken to Hogsmeade, to your brother’s place.” The Hat added.

“Oh and since you can’t use it, anyway, I’ll have my wand back, oath-breaker.” Death sneered and with a wave of his fingers, a wand left Dumbledore’s grasping hands and floated gently across the Hall to fall softly into Death’s waiting fingers. “I suggest that someone escort the muggle from the Castle and make sure he gets to Hogsmeade.”