Ch. 7- Jeanine's "Epiphany"

When I awoke next, I found myself in an unfamiliar place. I had forgotten where I had fallen asleep and nearly screamed when I saw Jeanine in bed with me; it wasn't exactly the biggest bed but somehow we both managed to sleep in it.

I suddenly remembered why I was here in the first place, but the truth was, it felt more like a dream. I removed Jeanine's arm from around my waist and quickly, but carefully, got up from the bed. The woman was still fast asleep in the hospital bed as I went into the bathroom to change. Change into what? I looked around the room and found two sets of clothes folded neatly next to the bed. How could I have missed them? And what cruel humor that nurse must have.

I grabbed the smaller pile of Erudite garment and went into the bathroom again, but this time, more flustered.

"Sage?" Someone called softly. I froze in mid-motion and awaited something more; I said nothing to whoever called, the voice was indistinguishable to me, though I was pretty certain it was feminine.

I finished dressing into the blue attire and slowly opened the door. It creaked as I opened it which made matters even worse. Why hadn't it done that when I first opened it? I gritted my teeth together as I finally opened it wide enough to get myself through. I opened my eyes as then heard sniffling. Was someone crying?

I pushed the door open all the way and looked towards Jeanine who was sitting up. She immediately froze as she saw me. I presume it was her who had called out to me, who else would have? I suppose a nurse, but Jeanine was most likely.

I looked at her wearily. We stared at each other for a very uncomfortable minute then I made a movement towards the door that led into Erudite headquarters. I heard her emit a small noise and turned around.

"Must you leave?" She asked.

"This is wrong, J- Ms. Matthews," I saw her cringe slightly at me changing my mind about calling her by her first name. I couldn't help but think she was on more drugs than required.

"It doesn't have to be-" Jeanine started.

"But it is!" I interrupted, becoming frustrated. "How can you not see that! I know you aren't thick. You must be on too much medication or something to not be able to see clearly that I am an initiate and much younger than you. For all you know, I could very well end up factionless, especially because of this."

After I said that, she seemed to snap back into her old self; her expression changed completely.

"You're right, initiate, I don't need you. These medications must have altered my perception greatly, which must have made you seem like someone who would be there for me in my time of need, but I was terribly wrong. You are not what I need at all," Jeanine said in her usual superior tone.

That hit me like a hard blow to the chest; it even seemed to knock some of the wind out of me. I felt my throat tighten up after the last sentence she spat at me, and turned around and left the room as quickly as I could.

I apologize for this chapter being short, but it is necessary for the upcoming chapter!