Ch 18- Change + AN

I awake with a start as if someone has spoken to me or shook me; no one has. 

Jeanine is still fast asleep next to me as I prop myself up on my elbows. She looks peaceful, and it almost feels like nothing terrible has happened, but it has, and it's time to accept that. 

I slide out of her comfortably cool bed, and pad over to what I assume is the bathroom. I feel in the dark for the light switch, but instead, touch a screen. The lights go on as bright as they can, and I yelp as they blind me. I shut my eyes and attempt to lower the brightness, and successfully do so. I hope I haven't woken her up.

I pop my head from around the corner where the bathroom is, and find her still asleep. I drag my oxygen tank into the room, quietly, and shut the door. I turn to find myself face to face with a pale young girl with a rat's nest for hair and a tube that connects to her nostrils. I blink a few times, and she does as well, then I realize it's not another person; it's me. 

I furrow my brow and squint my eyes at my reflection. I look horrible, and even that's an understatement. It looks like I haven't seen the sun in years and that I haven't taken care of myself either. Have I? Everything feels scrambled, but I know it is not a dream; I can actually feel the suffocating reality. 

It would probably be best if I take a shower. I look for a towel and new clothes, but the clothes aren't in here. I open the door softly and keep an eye out for anything that may seem like it could be a closet. I'm sure Jeanine won't mind if I borrow an outfit just for today. I could go back to Winter's apartment, but I feel quite disgusting right now, and all I seem to want is a shower now that I've actually committed. 

Jeanine has not stirred as far as I know, and I hope to keep it that way until we have to go to work. I'm not too sure about her anymore... Have her emotions weakened her? Is she pretending once more? If she is, why do it again? A new act would be more entertaining to her, or at least that's what it seems like. She's destructively curious, and I know she will do anything to get answers, but I cannot tell what she is doing here...

I notice a small door rather close to the bathroom and figure it must either hold towels or perhaps some clothing. It holds typical bathing items from brand new soap to soft and unseemingly, unadulterated baby blue towels. I take a towel because I noticed opened shampoo and body wash earlier in there. I glance to my right out of habit and find myself looking directly at a rack of Erudite clothing. I smack myself for not noticing it earlier; sometimes I truly am a ditz. 

I pick out a pantsuit because there really isn't much else in there. It contains an impeccably white blouse, cobalt blazer, and dress pants that match the shirt perfectly; I've never seen Jeanine wear it before. I suppose she prefers the darker shades of blue and black instead of white. The size matches my own, even though it was probably custom fitted. I will have to see if it truly fits after the shower...

The shower is nice and warm. I turned on a fan to help get rid of the humidity, and there is a small window that leads outside, so I made sure to open that as well; I really didn't want to pass out in the shower because of how hot I made the water. I dry my hair with the towel, not risking using an obnoxious hair dryer. I don't usually pin up my hair, but today I feel that would be better than walking through the halls with slightly wet hair. I make sure to squeeze out any loose moisture, and start to put it up in a bun. It comes out fairly well despite my lack of experience. The outfit that I took from her closet fits fine; it is slightly larger than expected, but still comfortable all the same. I have the urge to put on jewelry for some strange reason, but I refrain from doing so because I am certain Jeanine wouldn't appreciate me doing something like that; it would be borderline stealing, even if I was going to give it back to her.