17 - The Box

***RANSOM POV***

I looked at everyone looking at me after Clover walked out before dinner.

"I don't want to hear it." I said walking over to the bar cart and went to pour a whiskey.

"No Ransom! No whiskey! I handed you the club soda for a reason." Harlan said and I groaned. I took a sip of the club soda and groaned.

"Ransom, can we talk?" Linda asked and I sighed but nodded as we headed out to the library.

"What?" I asked and she just sighed.

"What happened today?" Linda asked and I just paced. I then stopped and plopped down in a chair.

"Well the other day I had Clover take a pregnancy test at home because things just mimicked last time. It came back positive. She made the appointment and it was confirmed today. Well I may have overreacted -..." I said.

"May have? What exactly did you do?"

"Insisted she be put on bed rest. Saying she needed to be in bed and only getting up to pee. I don't need something happening like last time." I said.

"Did the doctor say that as a possibility?" Linda asked and I shook my head.

"No, he said actually the baby looked healthy, everything is better now than it was at this stage during the last pregnancy. Said the last baby, they believe, had a heart defect but this baby has a strong heartbeat, Clover is perfectly healthy and everything looks good." I said and Linda was looking at me in shocked amazement.

"Then why Ransom? Why put her through this that you are?" Linda asked.

"Because last time this happened I lost her for a year a half! My own fault I know but I lost her and I can't go through that hurt again." I said and Linda sighed.

"Ransom, you think acting this way won't make you lose her?! You are acting like an ass and pushing her away whether you mean to or not. She just wants you there for her Ransom, she wants you in her life, taking care of her and things. This pregnancy is healthy and on the right track, everything will be fine." Linda said.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"I'm a mom, I know these things." Linda said and I gave a slight smirk while shaking my head.

"I should really go home..." I said and Linda nodded.

"Make it right Ransom." Linda said and I nodded. I walked out of the library and went to leave.

"Ransom! A word." I heard Harlan say from his office right by the front door. I walked in and shut the door.

"I know I messed up. I'm going home to fix it." I said and Harlan chuckled.

"Well I have something that might help with that." Harlan said and set the velvet box down on his desk and I sighed. "You asked me to hold on to this after she left you the first time...you said you didn't even want it in the house. What about now?" Harlan asked and I grabbed the box turning it in my hand.

"I don't want her to think I'm proposing because she is pregnant, that's the worst time to do it." I said and Harlan nodded in agreement.

"Just take it home with you, you never know when the mood may strike. I mean you love her, she loves you, you're starting a family, I wouldn't wait too long." Harlan said and I sighed.

"Are her parents still here?" I asked and Harlan nodded.

I walked out of Harlan's office and into the sitting room where Monica and Samuel were sitting with my parents.

"I thought you had left?" Linda asked.

"Harlan wanted to talk and I wanted to talk to you two Monica and Samuel." I said and they both looked at me. I opened the ring box and Monica gasped and Samuel smiled at me.

"You don't even have to ask Ransom. The answer is yes, it will always be yes. Ransom you two are made for each other and we can't imagine you two not together. You both had to grow up before and now that you have you deserve this happily ever after. You, Clover, Kitten and the new baby." Samuel said and extended his hand to me and I shook his hand and then Monica hugged me.

"Now go home and make this right." Linda said and I half nodded getting up and leaving.

The drive home had me thinking a lot, especially about my future with Clover, our past, our present and our future. I have known Clover our entire lives, we were kids at the same stupid parties, to teenagers sneaking drinks, kisses and a little bit of everything. To now as adults being together, ruining everything with her once before and I would never do that again.

I pulled in the driveway and sighed seeing her car which I was grateful for. I saw a lamp turned on in the living room and sighed knowing where she was. She was punishing me and sleeping on the couch. I walked into the house and Kitten ran over meeting me at the door.

"Hey, is mom okay?" I whispered and she meowed.

I smiled and quickly went upstairs and changed into some sweatpants and a t-shirt. I walked back downstairs, there was no way she was sleeping alone. Before I could get on the couch I pulled the ring box from my sweatpants pocket, where I put it once I changed. I sighed and set it on the coffee table right in front of Clover's eyesight so she would see it first thing in the morning, and she could make the decision on her own. This was all up to her anymore. I then got behind her on the couch and wrapped my arm around her. I felt her snuggle into me and I smiled. I kissed the back of her head and sighed.

"I love you Clover, I love you so much. Will you marry me?" I asked resting a hand on her stomach. I smiled when she sighed, and I drifted off to sleep.