[Chapter 12] The Best of Men

On a cool summer morning multiple friends and relatives gathered to mourn the loss of a beloved friend and daughter, Estelle Atkins. Three days earlier they had lost Estelle to the monstrous cancer. She didn't deserve to die, she deserved to live on and be free. Not everyone gets what they deserve though.

The morning was damp, the sky drizzling with tears that made the blades of grass shine like emeralds. The sky was sad, friends were sad, and so were relatives.

Some say that if you looked closely enough, beyond the trees you could see a man, quietly sulking from a distance. He didn't talk nor interact, just watched and sulked. Most people wouldn't see him, for they just didn't look hard enough. That was one of the things about the human mind, it missed so many things.

"Excuse me, but are you The Doctor?" a woman asked the man who hid amongst the trees, The Doctor guessed she was around the age of forty-two or so. He noticed striking similarities between her and Estelle, immediately registering who she was. The Doctor simply nodded at the woman. "This is for you then."

"How did you know I'd be here?"

"She said you wouldn't miss it for all of time and space."

Dearest Doctor,

I hope that my mother has done as I asked and given you this letter. I just feel as if the way we ended things on the TARDIS was not the best of ways to say goodbye, and I wanted to make a proper one.

It's been such a long journey for both of us. I never, ever wanted it to end, but end it has. Funny, a long time ago I said you were the oddest man I ever met. You're still that, but you're also the best man I've ever met too. But like always, all good things must come to an end, and the ending is here.

As I am writing this letter, I fear that my days are coming to an end. Though I don't want you to be sad, for the thing that kept me going through all the pain I've been through is you and all of our wonderful memories we've had together that I will cherish forever. Though you've given me more than fantastic memories, you've given me something that I've lacked my whole life. Courage, you've given me courage. Something I've lacked for far too long, but now I'm confident and courageous, and I just feel so much happier. That's all thanks to you, so maybe after all, I'm not the only magnificent one here. You are too, my friend, you are quite the magnificent one yourself. Also quite impossible if I may add, but that just makes you that much better. Just do me one last thing and remember me. I'll always remember you.

The Girl Who Believed,

Estelle.