Chapter Four: Flying Economy

~Arien~

The TSA wasn't too bad, especially since Mom and Dad took us early in the morning. Luckily Mom works at the airport so she was able to wait with us for our flight before her shift started.

"Flight 11403 start boarding" said the flight attendant

"That's you girls" Mom get up from her seat

"Love you." Layla goes in for a hug

"I love you too sweetie, stay safe." Mom held her tightly

While they shared a moment together, I was on luggage duty which consisted of two heavy backpacks and heavier medium suitcases. I was focusing on our boarding number more intently since it was getting closer to calling us, I'd much rather do that then become a mess of snot because I can't face my mom right now. That's right, I'm a coward, I know I'm gonna see mom, dad and Larson and it's not like it's gonna be forever, but I don't wanna leave, I want to be by mom, but I can't let Layla see that I'm just as scared as she is, going back to Baldwin would feel like a nightmare one I wasn't ready to face.

I couldn't do that to mom also, not when she has a shift to start in ten or so minutes. So instead of looking at the said pair I look at the list of people on the flight and info on it, re-checking that we have everything we needed from wallets to important papers and emergency cash along with a list of contacts, this has been at least like my tenth time re-checking anything. Gosh when will these two stop talking, I'm starting to roll my eyes when I notice mom stepping toward my direction, my back immediately straightens, attention dialed in, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't-

"Don't give me that"

"What do you mean mom?"

"Given that 'I totally don't care! It's not that big of a deal' face to me"

"I'm not!"

"Yes you are!"
"Whatev-"

"I love you so much sweetie, I want only the best for you" she pauses and takes time to give me a light yet pained smile grabbing me into a big tight hug nearly squeezing the breath out of me.

"Don't forget this is time for you too, not just Layla." She finishes
My eyes felt stung by the sudden realization I won't have Mom by my side for a while.

Who the heck is cutting onions?

"Yes mom."

"Sweetie?"

"Yes?"

"Don't do anything stupid."

"Sure"

"I'm serious"

"Nice to meet you seriously."

"Don't make me smack you in my workplace, young lady." She jokes.

"Yes Ma'am" I giggle

Mom let's go first nodding at me to go, I offer her a smile heading to the plane.

I promise to be good, I promise not to cause trouble Mom.

Promise.

                            ~Layla~

"Thirty more minutes before we land" radios the pilot through the plane.
Ari sat in an aisle seat listening to music, while on the other hand I was sitting by the window.

The view was the usual; some big cities, some green mountains, some water banks, etc.
As a kid Mom and Dad would take us traveling a lot. It wasn't until I fourteen we'd stop traveling, but I was used to the sights.

When you've driven across the whole state of California every other summer of your childhood, you get used to the view if you aren't already bored of it.

Four years ago, four years ago was the last time I'd been to Baldwin.
I wonder if it'll look the same?

                                                            🏵️End of Chapter Four 🏵️

                                                                      ~Author's Note~

Hi PJ03 Here, hope you readers enjoyed this chapter! 

Thanks so much for reading!

if you any questions about the characters or the story go ahead and leave a comment, also please don't forget to vote!

As always thanks for reading!