Chapter Five: The old man

~Arien~

"When do you think he'll get here?" asked Layla for the hundredth time.

"It's only been ten minutes, relax" I rolled my eyes

"Ugh it's so hot" Layla complained, this time I ignored her and tried calling gramps one more time until I heard a familiar honk, it's the kind you'd only hear from those old school cars the real rustic kind.

I lifted my head in the direction I heard it coming from, and sure enough there he was, an old sunburnt man wearing a straw hat.

Gramps.

~Layla~

Good to see him in such bright spirits, I didn't realize just how much I've missed this old man, but when I had realized it, tears filled my eyes.

"HAHA." Ari sarcastically grabbing our bags.

"Good to see you too gramps" I hope into the car giving him a tight hug

"I sure hope so. . ." he jokes patting my back

"I've missed you girls" his voice sounds a bit uneven.

"We've missed you too, gramps" I croak, wiping the tears away.

He whistles a tune.

"So, you excited for the summer?"

"Oh yeah, ready as I'll ever be! " I imitate his whistle

"Atta girl!" Gramp's gives me a pat on the head, "How's school been going besides the whole almost getting jumped in the bathroom?"

I cringe.

"Dad told you?"

Gramps tilts his straw hat up exposing his stormy gray eyes, the same as mine with a tint of beige.

"Of course."

"It's not what you think gramps, those girls started it !" I blurt out.

"Ari, Ari was just protecting me, and when I came out-"

"I know Layla, I was once a young blood y'know? I've had my fair share of fist fights, And you two" Gramps point towards me and then to the back where Ari was. " Are two peaches, honestly your father was worse."

I'm sorry what?

"Pfft! Dad? Really?" I'm genuinely shocked

"Dad what?" Ari asks jumping into the car

"What's going on?" She continues settling into the window seat.

"Gramps was just about to tell me how Dad was worse than us at our age" I get her caught up.

"Pfft! Doubt that" Ari jokes

"Oh yeah what's the worst you've two done? Making it out of being jumped? Beating a guy senseless only once?"

Ari and I don't respond.

"That's cute." Gramps smiles.

Complete silence.

My stomach growls.

Gramps and Ari glance at me,

"Can we stop by the gas station to get snacks?"

Laughter erupts.

                                🏵End of Chapter Five🏵

~Author's Note~

Thanks for reading another chapter of B.T.B don't forget to leave a vote!

Happy Mother's Day!

Sincerely,

 PJ03💛