Chapter Eight: The Shop

~Arien~

"How was the flight?" Mom asked over the phone

"It was okay, Gramps was really happy to feed us last night." Layla answered

I turned the corner onto the main road.

"Did you two skip breakfast? I know your grandpa isn't there to cook but make sure you eat" Mom scolded.

"Of course we ate, Ari made breakfast since gramps left early in the morning."

"If Eight o'clock is early for you I'm concerned" I joked

Layla rolled her eyes, Mom laughed but then continued to scold us.

"Did you two stay up late last night?"

"No" We lied

I couldn't tell Layla the reason I'd said that, I stayed up a lot longer after she fell asleep going through the old photo album. When Gran died, Mom and Dad had to break the news to us. At first I hadn't felt a thing, I was completely numb watching Layla run into our guest room slamming the door practically screaming in shock.

It wasn't until the day before her funeral when Mom and Dad left the living room that I'd fully realized what transpired before me. Gran was dead, gone, she was never coming back, never going to come and get me out of bed to help her make belgian style waffles. She wasn't coming back, suddenly i couldn't stand the fact that i was in the family house anymore, so i went to a place i knew i could be alone.

I took my bike from the back, and rode, rode, rode until i saw it, the barn, my safe haven, I practically fell off my bike from exhaustion, i dragged myself into the barn, climbing up to the highest story where gramps stored the old hay, i collapsed onto the nearest one. Sobbing, weeping, whaling, almost throwing up. I hadn't kept track of time, it didn't matter anymore. Until I heard heavy breaths coming from downstairs in the barn.

"THERE YOU ARE!' Yelled a familiar voice who was running up the stars, I turned to see who it was, it was Benny, panting all crazy running over to me.

All i could do was look outside seeing that it had been night time.

"Everyone's looking for you!" He scolded

I just turned over ignoring his scoldings, until his phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Yeah I found her, no worries, oh we're at the-"

I jumped out of the hay stack and grabbed a hold of his arm quietly begging him "Don't tell them I'm here!"

Benny took one look at me and his face softened. "Um my connections really bad but we'll be back soon." he finished hanging up

"Thanks." I said sighing in relief plopping myself back onto the hay-stack

"That's what I'm here for." He said following me onto the haystack.

We sat there quietly as I leaned on his shoulder. "I miss her too." Benny croaked

"Really?" I asked

"Yeah dummy, she was like a grandma to me, you know since my gran died before I was born." Benny started inspecting his shoes, clearly not wanting to make eye contact.

"Oh"

"Yeah" He croaked

"Sorry"

"It's alright, I'm sorry about Granny Lily too" he replied putting his arm over my shoulder to comfort me.

I started to tear up more, and instead of thinking I was weird, Benny just held me, silently comforting me until Miles came running up the stairs tripping over himself which caused me to burst into laughter.