4. HOPE COMES IN GREEN

His hand reached out to her, and she had half a mind to step out of the transporter ray. But he'd been pretty adamant. A lump still sat firmly in her throat as her body broke apart and hurled through space. As she her body reformed, she saw his afterimage, his right hand outstretched to her.

(No, he doesn't want it. Leave him be. You'll figure something else out.)

Her body finished reassembling in a pneumatic tube. A hiss of steam signaled she was, in fact, whole and proper. The glass door in front of her slid aside, opening up into a large, square locker room. On one side stood three tubes, the Bio-Transporters, which allowed her to teleport from here to anywhere within the ship's range.

She approached the line of lockers just to the left of the transporters and sat on the bench spread in front of them.

Lucianna sighed.

(Back to square one.)

She looked over to her right. The power pulsing through her...it'd felt so good. She damn near blew that tiny store sky-high, but now she had nothing again.

"I see you are injured."

Above her, a hole opened in the ceiling, and a screen attached to a boom arm lowered toward her. A girl's face appeared on the screen. She had dark hair cut into a pixie style. Her crystalline eyes glowed neon white as they examined Lucianna.

"Had to get a little rough," Lucianna said. "Couldn't help it."

The girl on the monitor sighed. "Lucky for you, I installed data collection algorithms that streamed your diagnostics. The next set of arms should be more durable."

"That'd be nice. The right one short-circuited so quickly!"

"That happens when you dry to push too much power through. Try to control yourself next time."

She slumped back against the locker doors. The cool metal felt nice on her neck. "Yeesh, lay off, Mom."

"I must ensure your safety. I cannot trust Rivra to maintain my body in your absence. Her fingers are much too large and clumsy. She would likely break something."

Lucianna's gaze floated to the ceiling. She saw his face, even though the afterimage had long since faded. Part of her wondered how she'd even mistaken him for Waylon. Sure, they looked a lot alike, but there was a kindness and...innocence, maybe? Something about Milo made her want to tease the shit out of him.

"My readings show your heart rate is elevated. Do you have a fever?"

"N-not at all." She sprung to her feet. "I'll head down to the lab so you can work on my arms."

The girl on the screen squinted. "Very well. I will see you momentarily."

The screen clicked off and retracted back into the ceiling. The hole in the ceiling sealed with a mechanic thud.

***

Faith knew she needed to stay about five steps ahead of her captain, otherwise the so-called Pirate Queen was just as likely to get herself killed as she was to get lost in the galaxy. She did quite admire the tenacity of the captain, and her power was unmatched. At least, it had been before she'd lost her gems of power.

"Well, what's the damage, doc?"

Faith sighed. "The right shoulder will take some work to repair. I can simply lift out your left arm and replace it." She spun around in her chair and crossed her arms. "What exactly did you run into down there? The local military?"

Lucianna grunted. "Just some poor sap living a sad life."

Faith cocked her head, but Lucianna's eyes fell.