19. SHADOWS OF THE PAST

Tereine had Milo mop the hallways in the morning. Part of him expected her to ask about his sudden departure from dinner, but all she only brought up the prospect of being a model for Krol's card collection. She talked really fast, wondering if she should have looked for new outfits in Coalwatch, or if she should do some trimming before the shoot.

(You know, she's pretty cute when she's excited. At least she's not asking about why I left.)

As they mopped the hall, Lucianna emerged from her room, stretching and yawning. Her eyes settled on Milo, and she smiled at him. His face flushed, and a low-grade nausea simmered in his gut.

"Morning~ Tereine already ordering you around?"

"Milo is wonderful help. Aye, the best I've had in a while!"

Lucianna chuckled, leaning forward, pressed her breasts together. His eyes flicked to her chest for a split second, and he tore them away, focusing on the spot he'd been mopping for the past five minutes.

"I saw that~"

"Huh? What? Saw what?"

"It's okay if you want a peak~"

She grabbed her breasts and kneaded them together like two perfectly round dough balls. Eyes half-hooded, she bit her bottom lip as she stared longingly at Milo.

Tereine tapped her on the head with the handle of her mop.

"Enough flirting. Milo's busy. Besides, you have a date with Rivra in the gym."

Lucianna groaned, straightening up and throwing her arms behind her back.

"Yeah, but I don't wanna. I'd rather spend the day with Milo. Y'know, sucking face and other naughty stuff."

A chill ran up his spine. In any other circumstance, Milo would be raring to take Lucianna up on an offer like that. But after the door to her room had gotten stuck, and he'd seen that private video of hers...

("Someday you'll find someone, and you'll want to suck their face.")

(Father wasn't just a crewmember...he loved Lucianna's older sister.)

His grip tightened around the mop handle, his knuckles turning white.

(I wanted answers, but now I can't look Lucianna in the face. Shit...)

"What's this~? He's so red!"

"Stop being a bother, Captain!"

Lucianna turned on her heal and headed for the gym.

"Well, fine, then. But after breakfast, Milo...you're all mine~"

She blew him a kiss and disappeared down the hall. He released the pent up breath and gasped. Little fireflies swam in his vision as he pressed a hand to his eyes.

"Oi, you all right? If the Captain's bothering you, you just tell her."

"No, it's not that."

(I can't just tell Tereine what I've seen. It won't make much sense to her.)

She wrung out her mop into a bucket.

"Well, whatever it is, you shouldn't keep it in. There's only so many of us on this ship, and we're in awfully close quarters. Aye, if you have beef with someone, it's best to hash it out peacefully before it turns into something everyone regrets."

She patted him on the back.

"Until then, this hallway ain't going to mop itself! Let's get at her!"

He watched as she mopped, whistling a bright tune. His shoulders relaxed, and he rejoined her in mopping.