34. THIS FEELING WITHIN

When Rivra woke, Milo jumped from his chair, dashing over to her. He grabbed one of her hands with both of his. She could hear his heartbeat flutter, his breath shallow and quick. They weren't in the cave anymore, as she recognized the slightly chilly, electric air of Faith's laboratory. The hum of machines confirmed her suspicion.

"Oh, thank god!" Milo said. "I didn't think you were going to wake up!"

Rivra groaned, moving to sit up, but a dull ache in her stomach gave her pause. She smoothed her left hand over her abs, and could feel the tender and ragged flesh beneath a layer of freshly applied gauze. Her memories flooded back, and she flinched as she could almost feel the bullets piercing her body a second time. She had been shot at plenty of times, but never before had her Scrapster skin been pierced by any bullet. She heaved a sigh. "Well, that was embarrassing."

Milo cocked a brow. "Embarrassing? Getting shot is embarrassing? I thought you were going to die!" Waving her hand, Rivra pushed herself up into a sitting position. "You shouldn't move. Your wounds are still healing."

"Even so, I will heal quickly. Stop fretting over me."

Milo balled his hands into fists as he held onto Rivra's forearm. She sighed. (When did he start to care so much about me? It kind of reminds me of...) She shook her head and leveled a grin in Milo's direction. "Really, I'm fine, Milo. There's no need to worry about me."

"As much I hate to agree with her, Rivra is correct."

Faith appeared beside Milo, a glowing screen floating in the air in front of her, filled with Rivra's vital readings in a language Milo didn't understand. "Her internal organs are unharmed, and Riosae expertly removed and cauterized Rivra's wounds. As of right now, Rivra is mostly like just feeling mild soreness. She will quickly recover."

Milo deflated, bowing his head. "Th-that's good, I guess. I mean, it's great! I'm glad you're recovering. I just..."

Rivra reached out and stroked Milo's cheek with one of her fingers. She felt his breathing hitch. A soothing heat stirred inside her. (This feeling...Do I...?)

"I appreciate your concern, Milo. But don't worry, I'm fine. Now, then." She turned her head toward Faith. "What's happened since I've been asleep? I noticed the Captain isn't here. Which is...odd."

Faith swiped her hand, and the screen with Rivra's vitals disappeared in a flash. She cleared her throat. "I fear the Captain and your brother have been taken to Scrapstar."

Whatever calm had arrested Rivra instantly dissipated, and her smile flipped into a deep scowl as her voice boomed, "What?! They were taken? By Des and that other space pirate?" She slammed her fist into the bed, the frame bent downward at her incredible strength. "Please tell me we're on our way to Scrapstar right now."

Faith nodded. "We are en route and will be arriving shortly. Although, Milo did worry you might be upset because you were not consulted about returning to your home world."

A playful smile teased at Rivra's lips. "Is that so? I'm flattered you would worry about my feelings, little Milo."

Milo hunched his shoulder until the almost touched his ears. "I-I...really, I knew we needed to go. But I know you also didn't really want to go back."

Heaving a breath through her nose, Rivra swung her legs out over the infirmary bed and stood, rolled her shoulders, and stretched her legs. "So be it. I guess I'm coming home today. How long has it been? Twenty years? Twenty-five?"

Milo gulped, eyeing Rivra with concern as she moved around like she hadn't just recovered from two bullet wounds. But if she was jumping around like this, there was no point in him trying to baby her. "You almost seem excited."