20. THE MISTRESS OF AGONY

Everyone had agreed to Krol's suggestion. Even Faith seemed eager to travel there, simply because Krol mentioned that very few people knew how to get to the Temple of Agony, meaning that Faith wouldn't have to keep the ship floating in space the whole time. It would give her plenty of time to work undisturbed, and everyone else could explore the beautiful planet while Milo and Lucianna focused on training.

The only person who disagreed was Rivra. But when asked why she didn't want to go, she'd blush and fall silent. Eventually, with Krol's prodding, even she relented to the will of the group. Krol provided the secret coordinates for the planet Enov, home to the Temple of Agony and its mistress, Riosae.

Milo and Lucianna asked Krol how Riosae is, both as a person and as a trainer.

"Well, she trains only those she sees fit. Invitation only kind of stuff, right? But when we were younger, Rivra and I received an invitation. Of course, our father being more of the old-fashioned Scrapster, he insisted we go. We spent about a good year there."

Rivra rubbed her arms. "Her methods are...unorthodox. But the only reason my senses are so sharp is because I trained with her. Honestly, she might be the only one in the universe who can drastically help you two. But..."

She turned toward Milo, her lips pressed into a line. A pained expression crossed her face and Milo put a hand on her.

"Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine. It's you I'm worried about." She shook her head.

Lucianna draped an arm over his shoulder and grinned.

"Don't worry! He might be a little squishy, but Milo's brave and resilient! Whatever this Riosae throws at him, he can handle it."

"You're overestimating me..."

He leaned into her, savoring the warmth.

(But at least you believe in me. Thank you.)

Krol cleared his throat.

"Mistress Riosae is eccentric, mind you. But if you want her to train you, you'll need to follow her instructions. Just, uh, don't bring up her collection. Unless you're going to say something good."

Lucianna's eyebrows knitted together. "What kind of collection are we talking about?"

"You'll have to wait and see. Just...if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it."

Rivra shuddered. "It was...so cold..."

Milo gulped.

(Who exactly is Krol taking us to?!)

***

Albany brought everyone a light lunch as they were quickly approaching their destination. As they munched on cured meat sandwiches, Faith's voice crackled over the intercom.

"Attention. Approaching destination. Prepare for descent."

Everyone strapped into a chair, and Lucianna took her spot in the captain's chair. She punched some buttons and brought up an image of the planet Enov on the screen overhead.

Enov looked no larger than Mars, but possessed a pink shade that made Milo think of a certain medicine for upset stomachs. Clouds of debris floated around the planet, two moons circling in opposing patterns. Lucianna grunted.

"That's a lot of shit to fly through."

"Mistress Riosae is a neutral party. She doesn't enjoy taking sides in universal conflicts and she doesn't like unwelcome guests. That's why she built her temple here."

"Hmph. Well, anyone who isn't involved with the Federation can't be all bad. Let's go."

She pushed on a lever, steering the Herald between belts of space rocks and debris. Just getting close to one cloud made the ship groan and rumble. Milo bounced both of his knees as they slowly descended past Enov's natural defenses. The ship rocked, and Milo's fingers dug into the armrests of his chair.