Chapter Seven

Hailwatcher slips out from the medicine den, glancing curiously up at the reddening sky.

The obscured full moon shines down on ShadowClan's camp, signifying that the Clans' time of gathering has arrived.

Hailwatcher, pointedly not looking forward to the event, forces himself to look excited so as not to arouse suspicions from Willowstar or Slightclaw.

Approaching the Gathering patrol, made up of Dawnbreeze, Raggedfoot, Robinear, Newtstripe, Russetblaze, Nightwish, Acornpaw, and Fallowpaw so far, Hailwatcher pads to the front where Willowstar and Slightclaw wait.

Willowstar nods in greeting to the young medicine cat, while Slightclaw simply lets his gaze burn into Hailwatcher's pelt for a few moments longer than necessary.

"Hello," the small gray tom mumbles, shuffling up close beside Willowstar and hoping that his desire to avoid standing near Slightclaw won't be picked up on.

"Is that everyone?" Willowstar calls to the patrol, flicking his fluffy tail.

"Not yet," Raggedfoot grunts, glancing in the direction of the nursery.

"Amberfur! Are you coming or not?"

"I'm coming!"

The nursery's entrance rustles as Amberfur pushes her way out, pads to Raggedfoot's side, and mischievously bumps his shoulder.

Hailwatcher flinches as Raggedfoot glares at him from behind Nightwish; Acornpaw sneaks a glance at the small gray tom but quickly looks away as his father turns to him.

Sighing, Hailwatcher turns the other way and stares down at his paws.

"That should be everyone, Willowstar," Slightclaw chimes in with a sharp flick of his tail.

"Alright, everybody," the ShadowClan leader mews, raising his voice a little, "-let's get going then, shall we?"

-=-

ShadowClan makes its way toward the Gathering island, pausing for a few moments at the log bridge.

Willowstar and Slightclaw leap up onto the log first; Amberfur helps Raggedfoot up onto the bridge and Hailwatcher hops up next, neglecting to extend his claws and help himself grip the bark.

The rest of the Clan gradually clambers up onto the bridge as Hailwatcher pads on; visible at this point are two small clusters of cats and two figures seated atop the Gathering Tree.

Hailwatcher vaguely recognizes them as Shellstar of RiverClan and Wrenstar of WindClan and sighs quietly to himself at the possibility of Rabbitwhisker being present.

Hubbub from both ShadowClan and the developing crowd starts to fill the air, providing Slightclaw with an opportunity to fall back and address Hailwatcher.

"Remember, you made a promise," the silver tabby hisses.

"Break it and you'll be next."

Flinching away with a high-pitched whimper, Hailwatcher nods before directing his gaze to the ground.

Slightclaw lifts his head, regarding the small gray tom with a chilling stare before rejoining Willowstar at the head of the patrol.

Hailwatcher steps down next with a cautious hesitance, immediately directing his attention to finding the group of medicine cats.

He watches Willowstar climb up into the Gathering tree and regard Wrenstar and Shellstar with a nod; Slightclaw seats himself on a flat rock with the other deputies and glances out at the crowd.