Chapter Eight

Hailwatcher shifts from his slumped position underneath the herb shelf, lurching forward from the pain that courses through his body.

Between the Gathering-related chaos of the previous few days and the stress of life in general, he finds himself worn out before the day's proper beginning.

Pulling himself up with a grunt of effort, Hailwatcher stretches and begins cleaning his fur with quick, precise strokes.

He lets his mind aimlessly wander, feeling a bit comforted, but the dark presence clouding his mind makes his gray fur stand on end.

Hating what happened at the Gathering and that he feels jealous of Ashpaw's happiness, he glances desperately around at the empty, silent medicine den that surrounds him.

Sensing motion, Hailwatcher stops dead in his tracks and cranes his neck toward the vine curtain of the medicine den.

He strains to hear a few whispers from the outside and clenches his jaw, ears swiveling in alarm.

A moment later, Acornpaw and Fallowpaw push their way into the medicine den.

Hailwatcher releases a shaky sigh and turns to face the pair of siblings.

"Hey, you two..."

Acornpaw steps forward, taking a nervous glance around and generally seeming rather on edge.

"Hey.."

Fallowpaw peeks out from behind her brother, flicking an ear.

"Our warrior assessments are today...we came by to get a check-up," she mews, smiling weakly.

Hailwatcher's tail twitches; he feels wary that the situation is a setup, but isn't about to give up this opportunity to talk with his foster siblings.

"Alright...just take a seat and I can oblige, I guess..." he murmurs, clearing his throat with a cough.

Acornpaw and his sister sit down next to each other, apprehension evident as they twitch and fidget; Hailwatcher can tell that they're here without Raggedfoot's knowledge.

Shuffling forward, Hailwatcher carefully inspects Fallowpaw and finds nothing out of the ordinary.

Acornpaw, though, has a set of scaring clawmarks hidden neatly under his golden fur.

Concerned about the injury, Hailwatcher leans forward and lowers his voice.

"Acornpaw...where did this come from-?"

The golden and black tom stammers a little before ducking his head, his long ears flattening.

"..It's not a big deal."

Taking this to mean his assumption of Raggedfoot's involvement is correct, Hailwatcher nudges Acornpaw's shoulder with a sympathetic grimace.

"I- I'm sorry."

Fallowpaw leans over to her brother, frowning and licking his ear.

"What's wrong?" the mottled apprentice mews.

"Nothing's wrong," Acornpaw replies, glancing sternly at Hailwatcher as to signal to him to be quiet about the matter.

Hailwatcher forces a smile.

"You two are good to go..."

"Acornpaw! Fallowpaw! Where are you two-"

All three young cats freeze as Raggedfoot storms into the den, his thick tail lashing behind him.

"D-Dad.." Acornpaw stammers, fear flooding into his eyes.

"What are you two doing in here?" the cream and black tom growls, narrowing his eyes.