Chapter Twelve

Hailwatcher lingers outside the medicine den, gaze flitting around camp before he picks up the leaf wrap sitting at his paws and staggers up.

His shoulder, treated two days earlier, throbs with just as intense of a pain as before.

Hailwatcher hazards an extra glance around- something that's become a habit lately- and shuffles up to the warriors' den.

He squeezes inside, inspecting the rather spacious interior, and tenses; his gaze flickers over Birchstorm's mate Bouncestem hunched at the very rear of the den.

The spotted brown she-cat looks nearly lifeless, green eyes dull and glassy.

Beside her is Sootwhisker, who smooths down her friend's messy fur with a concerned frown plastered across her face.

The slate-gray she-cat glances up, regarding Hailwatcher with a hesitant smile, and gets up to pad over to him; Bouncestem grumbles, burying her face in her paws.

"Hi," Sootwhisker mews to Hailwatcher, her long ears twitching every so often.

"Hello," he replies quietly; the small gray tom swears that something about her now looks familiar but fails to pinpoint what it is.

"You wanted me to give these to Bouncestem, right..?" the small gray tom mumbles, feeling rather uncomfortable with the way Sootwhisker is looking at him.

The slate-gray she-cat nods with a badly disguised grimace.

"..Yeah...she's- not doing too well..been trying to get her to eat but she won't listen to me."

"..I see," the young medicine replies, trying to be professional despite his reservations.

He carefully approaches Bouncestem, crouching down in front of her and using his nose to nudge the leaf wrap in her direction.

"Bouncestem?"

"Yes?" the spotted brown she-cat replies hoarsely, lifting her head with a strained grunt of effort.

"I brought you some herbs," Hailwatcher mews, undoing the bundle to reveal a neat pile of chamomile, sorrel, and thyme.

Bouncestem surveys the herbs through skeptical, half-lidded eyes before pushing the herb wrap away, shaking her head slowly from side to side.

"...Thanks for considering me, but..they're not going to help."

"B-but-"

Sootwhisker sighs, slipping past the young medicine cat to crouch beside her friend.

Feeling unfit to handle the situation, Hailwatcher draws back as the slate-gray she-cat nudges her friend's cheek.

"Bouncestem....You know you can't keep doing this to yourself. Birchstorm wouldn't-"

"Birchstorm's gone!" the spotted brown she-cat interjects, lurching forward with a pained sob and collapsing into a trembling heap in her nest.

Hailwatcher looks on, unsure of what to do; Sootwhisker curls herself around Bouncestem, murmuring softly to her and smoothing down her friend's prickling fur with gentle strokes.

"It's gonna be okay, Bouncestem," she murmurs, flicking an ear.

Stiffening awkwardly, Hailwatcher glances toward the den's entrance.

"..Should I go now..?"

Sootwhisker considers for a moment before nodding, curling her tail around Bouncestem's trembling figure.

"..You can. I think I've got it from here."

Hailwatcher simply nods in response, deciding to leave the leaf wrap where it is and pushing out of the warriors' den with a sigh.