Chapter Eleven

Hailwatcher drifts back into consciousness, waking with a start as soon as he recalls the events of the previous night.

The pain coursing through his body, especially his face, is less pronounced now but a burning sensation lingers.

Willowstar's helpless writhing, the sickly gleam of flesh and the stench of blood come flooding back, leaving a slight tremor in the little gray tom's movements.

He can see Birchstorm's lifeless body overlaid with Willowstar's and hear the horrible screech ringing in his ears.

Vaguely aware of a presence near him, Hailwatcher turns to face a certain, rather pleased silver tabby, who laps at his already spotless fur.

The young medicine cat rises to his paws, staggering from his injured shoulder, and tentatively steps toward his companion.

"..Good morning...is it Slightstar now?" he mews quietly, the fur along his spine bristling.

Letting a silence ring through the air for longer than usual, ShadowClan's new leader rises to his paws, an unfamiliar expression on his face.

"..Yes, it is Slightstar," he replies, side-eyeing the young medicine cat with a tinge of disdain in his amber eyes.

"The ceremony went...pleasantly."

Hailwatcher nods absently, drawing away into his own thoughts as the silver tabby glances away.

He doesn't like how Slightstar was acting- almost happy, but not quite- and he feels as if this guise of professional cordiality will soon give way to a windfall of the rude and cruel remarks he's come to anticipate.

Slightstar steps forward with a flick of his tail, surveying the area through alert amber eyes, and starts toward the winding trail that leads back down the hill from the Moonpool.

The silver tabby clears his throat, glancing back at Hailwatcher and sharply jerking his tail forward to beckon him closer.

The gray and white tom advances hesitantly, only to remember his shoulder and recoil with a whimper of pain.

"Hurry it up," Slightstar snaps impatiently, narrowing his eyes.

"...Sorry," Hailwatcher murmurs in reply, limping forward and flinching as a mosquito skitters through the air in front of his face.

The silver tabby rolls his eyes but looks a bit amused; he swats away the insect with a paw and steps forward onto the dirt path, taking a proud but subtle posture.

Hailwatcher finds that he doesn't quite like where all this is going, but decides to keep quiet.

"Now." Slightclaw mews, glancing out at the territory visible from their vantage point, "-we're going back to ShadowClan."

-=-

Hailwatcher pads alongside his new leader, trying to rationalize everything occurred in his mind.

He realizes that, even if he wants to tell the truth, the only thing liable to sway his Clanmates from Slightstar's side is proof he doesn't have.

He also dreadfully considers the possibility of Slightstar hurting him in ways previously restrained by Willowstar's presence as leader, but dismisses the thought.

Despite everything, a bit of curiosity about Slightstar's ceremony remains in his mind; Hailwatcher supposes wanting to know more is his mind's way of keeping him sane.

"..Slightstar?" Hailwatcher mews quietly, twitching an ear.

"What do you want?" the silver tabby hisses, glancing down at the little gray and white tom.