Chapter 6

The castle was in a buzz preparing for the princess's birthday celebration. Robert and Onyx weren't speaking so the kitchen was laced with awkward tension. By the time the guests began to arrive, the ballroom was expertly decorated and the buffet tables were prepared with elegantly covered dishes. The staff were all dressed in ducktail tuxedos, clad in black and white, and some were already circling with silver trays of orderves.

Onyx, however, wasn't in the ballroom like the rest of the staff. Instead, he was sneaking through the hallways of the palace, careful to remain unseen. He ducked into a darkened room when he heard the voices of Alpha Fox and his children, Lili's siblings, Alphas Lexi and Levi. He noted how similar Lili looked to her twin older siblings, but not even Lexi matched his mate's beauty.

Once they had safely passed by, Onyx continued sneaking down the hall. With the grand staircase in view, he hid behind one of the grand marble columns and waited for the princess to arrive.

In a matter of minutes, the sweet floral scent of roses filled the air and he knew she was close. He heard the sound of heels clicking down the steps and then her voice filled the air.

"Where's Dad?" Princess Lili asked.

"He's waiting by the doors to escort you in, along with Bay." Former princess Luna Marigold replied.

Onyx took his chance and ducked out from behind the column.

Lili had just reached the bottom of the steps when a mouthwatering scent filled the room; warm, fresh baked bread and spice apples. She froze and her eyes went wide as a familiar man appeared from behind one of the white, marble columns. It was the same sandy haired, green eyes server that she had run into last night. This is why he was following her, this is why she was so drawn to him. The server was her mate.

"Lili?" Marigold tugged her daughter's arm, looking at her with concern.

Her gaze followed Lili's and she noticed the man standing in the hallway.

"Oh boy." Marigold giggled, putting two and two together.

"You?" Lili gasped, finally able to speak.

"Perhaps I'll give you two a minute." Marigold said but her words fell on deaf ears, "Don't take too long. Everyone is waiting." She added before excusing herself.

"Princess." Onyx bowed before her, keeping his eyes locked with hers.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"Onyx Bell at your service." He answered proudly.

"You knew at the dinner, didn't you?" She accused him and Onyx smirked.

"I did. I'm glad that I didn't have to wait too long for you to find out as well. I'll admit to being quite impatient." Onyx said in his deep, raspy voice.

"You work in the kitchen." Lili said and Onyx felt his cocky composure begin to falter.

"I do. My father is the chief." He replied, "Is that a problem?" He asked as Lili took a few more steps towards him.

Lili circled the man before her, looking him up and down.

"You gave me the rose." She said, ignoring his question.

"I did."

"So is that your ability then? Levitation?" She asked,

"It is."

Onyx's eyes followed Lili as she slowly walked around him, her hands folded politely behind her back. He took the time to admire her outfit. Of course she wasn't wearing the traditional gown, instead she was wearing pants with a mock skirt. He couldn't help but notice how the leathery fabric clung to her delicious curves and how the feathers on her bodice seemed to tickle her snowy skin.