Chapter 10

The next few weeks flew by quickly. Lili and Onyx spend every waking moment together. When Lili had to attend meetings or tend to the palace, Onyx was glued to her side; whatever she needed, he did. He arranged dates for the couple, strolls around the palace, picnics alongside the lake and on the beach, and gourmet meals where he showed off the cooking skills he gained from his father. Slowly, Lili warmed up to his affection and began to accept his deviation.

It was twilight, the sun just beginning to set behind the snow capped mountains, turning the scarlet sky a light, burnt orange and a slight chill had begun to set in as the double moons rose high above. Onyx and Lili were sitting on a pile of blankets and pillows that had been arranged beautifully around a roaring fire pit. A heavy wool blanket was settled around them, forcing them to sit shoulder to shoulder with one another. Not that either of them minded terribly.

Lili had leaned her head against Onyx's shoulder and enjoyed the feeling of his fingers running circles on her arm.

"Tell me about your mother." Lili asked suddenly.

Onyx released a heavy sigh.

"There isn't much to tell. Her name was Tori and she died giving birth to me." He said,

"You don't know anything about her?" Lili pressed.

"My father doesn't like to talk about her. They were destined mates and she was the love of his life. From what I've heard from those who knew him back then, he was a completely different man when she was alive. He was happy, light hearted, and cheerful. He had some stresses after dealing with King Titan and then King Solaris' death, but his loyalty never wavered and neither did his love for the crown and my mother,

"When my mother died, it was like a part of him had died, too. He retreated within himself. I think he blames me. He was never very fatherly to me. The only things he ever really taught me were loyalty to the crown and how to cook." Onyx explained in a voice that was void of emotions.

Lili scooted away from him slightly so she could look up at his face.

"I'm sorry, Onyx." She spoke sweetly.

He smiled at her and shook his head, knocking his shoulder against hers.

"I'm not. Everything in my life has led me to you and I'll never be sorry for that." He said passionately.

Lili giggled and rolled her eyes. He was always saying cheesy stuff like that, that made her cheeks burn and butterflies engulf her stomach.

"Well, my parents will love you." She said matter-of-factly.

"It must've been something else to be raised by Princess Marigold and Alpha Fox." Onyx said, having heard all the stories and tales of the great Luna and Alpha.

Lili laughed,

"Like growing up inside a fairytale romance," She teased, "But, it was amazing. I couldn't have asked for anything better. When I wanted to embrace my fae side more than my wolf side, they supported me without hesitation."

"You don't talk about your wolf." Onyx observed.

"She's not very active. I got her when I was 16 and shifted for the first time. Lexi and Levi, my older siblings, were the same; getting their wolves early at age 16. Her name is Storm. I only really feel the call to shift during full moons. I think she knows that I'm actually more capable in my fae form. Sometimes I'm afraid that she feels left out or lonely, but she jumps in to reassure me that she's just laid back and content with her life of taking a back seat." Lili tried to explain.

"What's her name?"

At Onyx's curiosity, Lili's wolf perked up. She hopped up from her usual sleeping position and started pacing in her head.

"Storm and she's now completely awake." Lili laughed, her eyes flashing black.

"Does she sense me?" Onyx asked.

"She does. She has since the day of my birthday. Honestly, I was mad at her at first for hiding you from me." Lili confessed.

"What do you mean?" Onyx was carefully studying her face, noticing how her eyes were changing from their usual ocean blue to a dark, deep black.

"She's a wolf, she can sense her mate better than I can. She sensed you from the moment you turned 18, but she kept her snout shut until I turned 18 and could sense it myself." Lili said, shoot shade at Storm again.

Storm huffed and rolled her eyes.

"She's tricky, like someone else I know." Onyx smirked, tapping Lili on her nose.

Lili scrunched up her face and swatted at his hand.

"Don't be mean." She whined.

"Does Storm like me?" Onyx asked.

He tried to sound nonchalant but really he was worried. He was concerned that Storm wouldn't feel the matebond because he didn't have a wolf; he was afraid she wouldn't be satisfied with him.

"Awe, is someone insecure?" Lili teased him, seeing right through his facade.

He rolled his eyes at her but said nothing. Lili sighed and spoke seriously,

"She's obsessed with you, Onyx. Why do you think I've been so accepting of the bond? Storm doesn't talk much so when she does, I listen. She talks about you a lot." Lili smiled.

"Good, I'm glad." Onyx released a breath he didn't realize he was holding.

"Come here." Lili laughed at his nervousness and pulled him close to her again.

She snuggled into the space between his shoulder and neck, his cheek pressed against the top of her head. She felt him shift under her and then he kissed her forehead. After a few moments of silence, he whispered so quietly that she wasn't sure she had heard him correctly,

"I love you, Lili."