Chapter 7

Lili, as usual, answered to no one. She entered the ballroom on Levi's arm with Onyx following behind them. She made no efforts to introduce him to the curious crowd nor did she explain why he took a seat at the head table. Bayu said in a miniature throne in the center of the table with Lili on his right. She was perched on a smaller chair but it was just as elaborate.

Marigold and Finn said to the left of Bayu. Across from them sat Levi, his mate, Tina, and their children, Mabel and Maeve along with Lexi, her mate, Gabriel, and their children, Rebel and Ralphie.

Beside Lili, a chair was added and Onyx took his seat. Bayu eyed Lili curiously but said nothing, a sly smirk painted proudly on his face; he had made some assumptions about the identity of the newcomer and was sure that he was right.

Bayu stood and the entire room fell silent, all eyes were on their king.

"Good evening and thank you for attending Princess Lili's coming of age ball! Today marks her 18th birthday. From the time Lili was a young girl, I knew she was destined for great things. Once she won over the hearts of our kingdom, I knew she was meant to be my heir. From that day, she has been preparing for her ascension to the throne. I have come to the decision that, once Princess Lili claims a mate and produces an heir of her own, I will hand down my crown." Bayu announced.

Lili's head snapped towards her uncle, her eyes wide in shock. Murmurs of surprise overtook the crowd. Lili and her uncle hadn't discussed when she would take the throne. Considering a fae's extended lifespan, she expected that it would be quite sometime before Bayu was ready to hand down the throne. Bayu and Solaris' predecessors, their father, King Titan, had served for so many centuries everyone had lost count. It was unheard of for a fae king to step down after only a few decades.

"Princess Lili?" Bayu gave Lili a look that said she better get herself together and make a speech.

Lili cleared her throat and stood. Bayu sat down, handing the spotlight over to his niece.

"I'm both overwhelmed and honored by your declaration, my king. I will happily take up the mantle you have so graciously carried the moment you are ready. I am beyond grateful to have been chosen as your heir and to have been blessed into this amazing family,

"I want to thank my parents, former princess and Luna, Marigold, and former Alpha Finn Oxford for making the journey from the human realm to join us today. Alphas Levi and Gabriel, Alpha Female Lexi, and Luna Tina along with their heirs also made the lengthy trip from their pack, the Silver Moon pack in Washington. I am honored that they have stepped away from their leadership roles and busy schedules to join me today for the celebrations,

"Lastly, I would like to thank all of you for making the trip to the palace to attend the celebration. I am truly a thankful and humble princess to have such adoring and kind people,

"Before I hand over the festivities to our chief and allow him to present his bountiful feast, I have one last announcement to make. The Moon Goddess has seen fit to grant me with a mate so early in my life. I am pleased to say that my mate hails, not only from inside the realm, but from inside our very palace. Lord Onyx Bell." Lili completed her speech by motioning towards the man to her right.

She nudged him and Onyx stood, looking over the crowd with a lopsided grin. Lili resisted the urge to roll her eyes at how out of practice he was. The ballroom was completely silent, which made Onyx extremely self-conscious. Lili, on the other hand, wasn't affected. She nodded once at Onyx, singling for him to sit down first. She fluffed out the cape of her gown and sat back down on her throne.

Bayu chuckled under his breath, shaking his head at Lili before standing again.

"Let us eat!" He announced and the crowd dispersed to their seats.

Lili studied the wait staff as they brought out trays of beautiful looking food. Everyone at the table was looking at her. Bayu cleared his throat twice before Lili finally looked his way.

"Something to say?" She said, cocking an eyebrow.

"Lili." Bayu sighed, shaking his head again.

"What?" Lili continued to play dumb.

"Your highness, thank you for allowing me a seat at your table." Onyx finally spoke up, bowing his head politely at the king.

"Lord Bell, is it? You're Robert's son." King Bayu said and Onyx nodded,

"Yes, sire."

"When did this happen?" Bayu asked, looking between Lili and Onyx.

"About ten minutes ago." Lili shrugged.

"They met in the hallway." Marigold injected.

"You knew?" Bayu looked at his sister in surprise.

"Only for a bit longer than you." Marigold smirked.

"A little warning would've been nice." Bayu grumbled.

"Now, where's the fun in that?" Marigold laughed.

"Oh, yes, and we wonder where Lili gets it from." Bayu said,

"Who wonders?" Finn laughed loudly.

"If we are going to complain about surprises, how about your announcement?" Lili directed her attitude towards Bayu.

"I was planning on speaking to you about it over the last few days, but you refused to come home until the last minute. You have no one to blame but yourself." Bayu huffed, "Besides, I suspected that the young man you brought in with you was your mate."

"And?" Lili said, causing Bayu's eyes to pinch together with curiosity,

"And?"

"Does your announcement still stand?" Lili continued.

"Why wouldn't it?" Bayu asked, genuinely confused.

"I dunno." Lili shrugged casually.

Bayu looked between Lili and Onyx. Seeing the concerned expression that was obvious on the boy's face and more hidden on Lili's, he finally came to realize what she was hinting at.

"I bless this union if it is what my niece wishes," He said, looking at them both in turn, "A mate is sacred and a destined mate is not to be questioned, no matter where they come from."

Lili offered her uncle a small smile, careful to hide the sigh of relief she felt like releasing. Onyx, on the other hand, was less subtle,

"I appreciate your understanding, your grace." Onyx said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Your family has served the palace well over the ages, Lord Bell. I have no quell with them nor with a servant being mated to my niece. What one does for a living does not determine what kind of man he is." Bayu spoke elegantly, "After the party, there will be much to discuss. For now, let us enjoy it."

"Thank you." Onyx bowed his head again.