Chapter 9

"Princess." Viktor entered the room and bowed his head, his hands clasped behind his back.

"Lord Judge." Lili plastered on a fake smile, "Please, sit."

Viktor moved across the room gracefully and took his seat across from the desk. He eyed Onyx with board curiosity.

"I apologize for missing your birthday celebrations, your grace, and wanted to extend my well wishes." Viktor said,

"Thank you. Your absence was noted." Lili lied, "I'm sure you were busy tending to the improvements of your village."

"Yes, the advisors you sent have been quite helpful. They have offered many suggestions that have bettered the condition of our people. I believe that our people are much happier now." Viktor declared.

Lili resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

"I would expect that it's going to take more than a day to improve the conditions of your people." Lili said plainly.

"Of course," Viktor eyed Onyx again, "I'm sorry, am I interrupting another meeting?"

Viktor was playing dumb and they all knew it. The castle had made an official statement that morning about the princess's mate. He knew exactly who the other man in the room was but was pretending that he didn't in order to degrade the man who was once only a servant.

"This is Lord Bell, my mate." Lili answered.

"Oh, I hadn't heard the news. Congratulations." Viktor said, but his words didn't match his expression and his smile didn't reach his eyes, "I'll admit, I had hoped that your union would bring together the palace and another village, just as your grandparents union did."

Lili nearly fell off her seat. How dare he say such a thing? Lili's grandparents were a topic that was scarcely discussed and certainly not from the tongue of someone outside of the royal family. King Titan was overthrown and executed publicly in front of the realm after a very short trial led by King Solaris. His wife, Queen Tabitha, had come from the East village. The union made the East village the official royal village, benefiting from the bounty and riches of the palace.

That is, until she died. Then, the East village was cut off. It was a kick in the teeth. Something that no one understood. That was, until they learned that King Titan had murdered their beloved queen and had wanted to cut all ties with her.

So, for the arrogant Viktor Judge to bring up her grandparents and the heinous acts of the former king was nothing less than deplorable.

"That is quite bold of you to say." Lili said after a moment of gathering herself.

She clutched her hands into fists at her side, pushing down her anger and rage, and replacing it with diplomatic politeness.

"I meant no offense, my lady." Viktor said with an ugly sneer on his face that said he meant exactly what he had said.

"I'm quite thrilled with the selection that the Moon Goddess has made for me and I expect all of my people to rejoice with me." She said sternly, earning a look of admiration from Onyx.

"Of course, princess." Viktor said,

"The villages don't need a union with the crown to be bountiful and to flourish. They need strong leadership that works openly and honestly with the crown." She added, "Did you need something specific?"

She needed to maneuver the conversation away from the sensitive topic that was sure to cause Lili to lose her cool. She already hated Viktor Judge, the last thing she needed was more fuel for the fire.