Thirty four

The Kooks
••• Junk of the Heart (Happy) •••

The Kooks ••• Junk of the Heart (Happy) •••

i wanna make you happy

i wanna make you feel alive

let me make you happy

i wanna make you feel alive at night

•••••

*dropkicks you with fluff* you're welcome

Lloyd was having nightmares.

I watched, stunned, from the doorway. Water was dripping from my hair and my pyjamas were clean on.
And Lloyd was crying in his sleep.
What the hell do I do in this situation? I'm baby! I'm usually the one who'd get consoled from nightmares, not be the one consoling!
Okay. Okay. I can do this.
Aren't you not supposed to wake them? Or do you wake them? Ugh! I have no idea but his crying is getting louder and everybody else is asleep and I'm panicking.

I stumbled over to the bed and knelt down on the floor beside his head, hands hovering between us, unsure as all hell. I wanted to reach out and maybe pat his hair? Would that work? Or would that kick start some of his powers in a defence mechanism and I get knocked in the face with his green energy? That wouldn't pleasant.
He was whimpering and my heart was breaking. Tears rolled down his cheeks as if his twitching eyelids were faucets, never seeming to end. I instinctively wiped them away with a thumb and his sobbing hitched. I paused. Shit. Shit. Did I make it worse?
He mumbled something incoherent.
"Yeah?" I hummed in response, quiet and under my breath, as if I'd been able to understand the absolute gibberish that'd slipped out of his mouth. He mumbled something again and I traced the curve of his lips. They parted with an exhale.
Oh. Voice. Duh.

"I was really scared, you know," I murmured to his sleeping body as my finger brushed up the bridge of his nose and the soft turn of his eyebrow. He sighed in his slumber, turning his head towards me. "And I'm sorry that I ignored you when you told me to go home. But I needed to stay. I had to see your smile again, y'know?"
I laughed humourlessly, shifting my weight as I leant my arm on the mattress. I lined his jaw with my fingertip, staring at his flickering, closed eyes while he dreamt.
"You've got me wrapped around your finger, you know that?" I chuckled dryly, returning to softly tracing his lips while his breath hit my knuckles. "I have no idea how you did it, but I'm totally, irrevocably and overwhelmingly in love with you, in all sense of the word."
My hand lifted to brush through his blond hair, the soft strands curling between my fingers. "From your hair." I dipped to gently drag my finger under his eyelashes. "To your eyes." My hand dropped to his nose. "And your cute nose." Then back to his lips. "And your pretty smile."