sixty

TW: gun shooting

I was reading in bed when the team returned from patrol.

"It's twelve-thirty," Lloyd chastised with a sigh as he saw my tired eyes eagerly lift from my book to him when he entered his room. He looked exhausted himself, fresh out of the shower. "You should be asleep."
I shrugged. Lloyd gently grabbed the book from my hands and placed it on the floor.
"I wanted to wait until you got home."
"Why?"
"Because I can't sleep without you," I admitted, digging my chin under the duvet until only my eyes could be seen. Lloyd stared at me for a single beat before caving with an enchanting, velvety smile.
"I can't even be disappointed," he said as he crawled into bed. "You're too adorable."
I gave a grin, flustered cheeks pink.
"My power is working."
"It's super effective," Lloyd agreed, dipping his head under my chin.
"How was patrol?" I asked.
"Boring," he sighed, closing his eyes and breathing in slowly. "What did you do?"
"Helped your parents and uncle reorganise the scroll room," I hummed, kissing his forehead.
"Exhilarating."
"Certainly isn't parkouring across the city at night."

He huffed softly in amusement as I threaded my fingers through his blond hair while staring at the ceiling. It'd gone dark, as Lloyd had turned off the light. His breathing was getting slower against my neck.
"Lloyd," I whispered at the roof of the green ninja's bedroom. He hummed, too tired to reply properly. "My parents are coming over tomorrow."
Lloyd lifted his head, green eyes finding me in the darkness. He looked confused.
"What? Why?"
"We were talking about it while you guys were on patrol," I murmured, working my fingers through his damp hair as he watched my face. "Neuro's put a border around my house so Mum and I get to move back. And your dad wants to discuss tactics with my dad. 'N... dad stuff, I guess. I dunno."
His face fell.
"Move back?" Lloyd echoed before his voice began to rise in worry. "B- but we can't guarantee your safety like we can here. We've got trained monks, miles of untouched forestry, our team- it's the safest place for you!"

"I've already lived here three months, Lloyd," I murmured, touching his temple with a brush of my fingertips. "And we all agreed. I can't just move in-"
"Yes, you can!" Lloyd said in a rush, sitting up. My eyes followed his swift movement as he slipped from the mattress and stood. He definitely didn't seem tired anymore. "Move in with me."
"Lloyd-" I tried.
"Marry me, Y/n."
Words died in a halting crash in my throat. I stared at him as he pulled out the ring from the chain around his neck. His red eyes bore into mine. I felt like a spotlight had been shone on me and I didn't have a performance ready. Stage fright.
"It's not an engagement ring, I know, but I can-"
"I- Lloyd, no." I shook my head, brows pulled to my hairline in stunned worry as my voice shook. "I can't."
"Why not?" he challenged, the ring dropping back to his chest.
"I'm seventeen!" I squeaked, sitting up so fast that it made my head spin. "We can't get married at seventeen, Lloyd!"
"I'm nineteen," Lloyd pointed out unhelpfully.
"You do get how that doesn't help, right?" I asked, voice pitched and strained as I released a short, stressed breath and ran a hand through my hair. "The only reason why people our age get married is- is because- Lloyd, people are going to think that you knocked me up!"
"So?"

"'So-?!'" I went to shriek in baffled confusion with a hint of embarrassed outrage before I stopped myself. Clenching my eyes shut, I pinched the bridge of my nose and fell back down. The duvet poofed around me. "Can we talk about this in the morning? Besides, you'd need to get my father's blessing and he'd absolutely decline you on the spot. And probably shoot you in the foot for good measure."
Lloyd crawled onto the bed beside me, unphased by my indirect threat. I eyed him warily as he leant down and pressed a gentle kiss to my lips.
"Marry me," he whispered, holding himself above me like a bowing angel.
"No."
Another kiss. Longer. My heart thrummed appreciatively.
"Marry me," he whispered against my mouth.
"... no."
"M-"
"Lloyd, for God's sake, go to sleep!" I smacked the pillow over his head before he could press another kiss to my lips. I wasn't so sure I'd be able to say no again if he did. Lloyd laughed, grabbing the pillow from my hand and dropping it back into place. He flopped down close beside me, shoulders touching, covers tangled.
"I'm going to keep asking you until you say yes."