seventy five

"How'd you go?"

"I don't want to even think about it," I groaned, dropping onto the grass of the field beside Lloyd with a pitiful cry. It was the last high school exam I'd ever have to sit - but rather than feeling relieved and exhilarated from my early start to the holidays, I just really wanted to hole myself up in my room and sleep for twenty years.
Lloyd snickered at my whine as he played with a blade of grass. I fell onto my back and draped my arm over my eyes. At least the spring sun was nice and warm.
"How do you want to celebrate?" he asked, relaxing beside me on an elbow.
"Hhhhsleep," I mumbled. A low chuckle was his reply.
"Well, I have training from two to four and patrol at six, but I think we can squeeze in a quick nap between then," Lloyd offered.
"Sounds perfect," I sighed. Lifting my arm from my face, I turned my head to gaze at him. He was smiling softly. "I don't think it's set in yet. Finally finishing high school."
"Yeah?" Lloyd hummed, poking my cheek with the blade of grass he was messing with. It tickled. "It has for me. Will you miss it?"

With a furrow of my brows, I lifted my gaze to the blue sky. A gentle breeze had the lush grass of the school field swaying. Aside from the civilian symphony of the city, it was quiet.
"I don't know," I replied honestly. My eyes followed as a fluffy cloud dragged itself slowly across the sky. "Part of me can't wait to leave this place behind, but... I dunno. There's a bunch of memories here that I'm not sure if I want to let go of yet. I feel like I'm not ready to be an adult."
"You're scared of what the future may hold," Lloyd murmured, still resting on his arm as he sprawled out on the grass beside me. There was nothing more for us to do but wait for the others.
"... yeah," I hummed, admitting to his correct educated guess as I pushed myself up with my arms. "But who isn't, right? I'm not special."
"I dunno," Lloyd said with a teasing tilt to his voice. He followed me up. Just two dumb kids, sitting crisscross apple sauce on the school field. "You're pretty special to me."
I snorted, eyes jumping to his.
"I didn't mean in that regard."
"I know," he grinned shamelessly before his fingers whispered across my cheek and gently held my jaw. My head tilted to the side with no complaint, finding his affectionate gaze.

"There will be some parts of this place that I'll miss," Lloyd admitted, voice quiet as he dipped his forehead to gently tap against mine. My eyelids fluttered at his warm proximity. "Funnily enough, most of my happy memories are after you arrived."
"Cheesy," I hummed with a smile, bumping my mouth against his cheek.
"It's the truth," he countered breathily before dropping his lips to capture mine in a sweet kiss. The grass was a little dewy from the spring shower that had passed over the city only that morning, but I paid it no mind. I was too enraptured in the sweet thralls of Lloyd's kiss.
"Oi!" yelled a voice. "No snogging on school grounds!"
Lloyd gave an irritated growl in his throat that had me snickering. He pulled away to send our interrupter a glare.
"Hey, Chen!" I greeted with a giggle as the cheerleader approached with his arms crossed and a smirk that rivalled Kai's.
"Hey, lovebirds," Chen teased.
"We were in the middle of something," Lloyd grumbled with a pout. Chen rolled his eyes in amusement.

"How'd your exa-?"
"Nope!" I yelled, plugging my ears and cutting him off. "Don't wanna!"
The cheerleader blinked in surprise before falling into a snigger that I couldn't hear. I unplugged my ears only when I noticed the large art tube that sat beside Lloyd - how did I not see that before? Damn, exams really did take it out of me.
"What's that?" I asked, gesturing to the art tube.
"Extra credit stuff that I have to hand in," Lloyd replied with a careless shrug. "Had to pick something up so I wouldn't get held back."
"Can I see?"
Lloyd's cheeks brushed a pretty pink.
"... no."
His averted gaze just made my curiosity skyrocket. I gave him the best puppy eyes I could manage.
"Please?"
But he was steadfast, cheeks growing darker.
"No."
"Pretty please?" I begged. "Pretty please with a cherry on top? I'll do anything you want?"
"Go on, Lloyd!" Chen cheered. "Show us your masterpiece!"
"Nope," Lloyd refused. He snatched the tube away before I had even leapt for it, predicting my movements with expertise. In a blink, he was on his feet and five meters away, clutching the tube to his chest when Chen went to make a snatch. The cheerleader slumped.