Chapter 8

Hours went by after that conversation and Cassie assured Murasakibaea that she would be alright to be alone.

He was slightly hesitant to leave, but he did and as Cassie stood in the steamy bathroom, she stared off, distracted with her thoughts.

It didn't seem to add up that someone wanted to help her, and especially with something so... miniscule.

She shook her head and opened the bathroom door only to be met with Kagami who was reaching for the knob. "What are you doing?"

"I was going to check up on you. You've been in there forever."

While she hadn't realized how much time had gone by, the amount of steam leaving the bathroom was a clear indication.

"Sorry... I'm a little exhausted."

Kagami raised his brow. "That's all?" Cassie gave a shy shrug. "Well, just be sure you don't pass out or something okay? I know your parents would kill me if they knew I let that happen."

Cassie smirked. "I think that's your way of saying you were just worried about me."

"That's not what it is." Kagami walked off past her and back to the living room.

She let out a small giggle and they both went to the main room where Cassie walked to the kitchen and Kagami returned to his spot on the couch watching TV.

"By the way," Kagami said, "your phone's been vibrating for a while. I think you even missed a call."

Cassie knew it could be no one but Murasakibara. Having no other friends—or even family members who spoke to her often—no one else would be texting her.

Cassie quickly retrieved her phone and checked the messages, seeing several texts and two missed calls. She bit her nail while reading through them seeing an escalation of annoyance.

Murasakibara had been texting her, but he was asking her about what foods she liked. After not receiving any response for thirty minutes, she saw several messages of him growing more annoyed at the lack of response.

"Jeez..." She quickly replied to him having no idea why he was asking her such a random question. Once it was sent, she got some water and headed back down the hallway to head off to bed. "Night Kagami."

He gave her a half aware response back, and Cassie was quick to go to her room and fall back on her bed.

No matter what happened, Cassie didn't want to think about it and tried to get ready for the next day. Things would go back to normal and she had to be ready to live life like she was used to.

Those hours in the night went by as they always did, nothing seemed out of ordinary and she was up at the crack of dawn, making her way to Yosen. She stood on the train as she always did, thinking about everyone on the team and how she was going to interact with them.

She remembered that she'd have to spot Himuro again before practice was over, and she had to remember to let Wei know when she was available next; the last thing was just to report this information to Masako.

She let out a sigh as the voice overhead said the name of her stop.

The streets were usually empty in this area, so Cassie didn't have to worry much about getting any looks from people; she often stopped by the convenience store, however, to get some breakfast since she never ate at home—a habit she wanted to break. Seeing her regular stop, she turned to head inside and greeted Minsu who happily waved back to her.

Heading around the back, someone stepped into the aisle and knocking her back.

"Ow..." She stumbled, but looked and saw only the chest of this person. Knowing who this belonged to, she stepped back and looked up at Murasakibara.