Chapter 19

"Are you sure about this?"

Mon Mothma spoke with as much composure as ever, but there was deeper emotion hidden in her tone. Something more than skepticism or sorrow.

"With hope, this will only be temporary, but the truth is that we don't know what the future will look like for us." Hera unconsciously brushed her hand against her abdomen as she spoke. She hadn't mentioned the pregnancy, when she called to tender the Ghost Crew's indefinite leave of absence, effective immediately. At this point, anyone who was of some level of importance to them had been made aware of Ezra's condition, and none of them saw the need to push back against their choice.

"Well then, I will leave you with the hope that our paths cross again someday. The contribution that your crew has made to the Rebellion is immeasurable as it is invaluable. You will forever have the support and protection of our forces should you need it." The hologram projection of Mon Mothma bowed slightly on the table before her. This was a woman that Hera was never certain if she could trust or not. She always held herself in this strange, overly-formal way that had made Hera question the legitimacy of her empathy and intentions on more than one occasion. But she appreciated the gesture even if it was made purely with diplomatic intent.

"We appreciate it. And we maintain our offer to operate as an independent cell in situations where we are needed and feel it safe to do so." Hera knew better than to think that this would be a quiet retirement. Her crew had come together over the years over this joint draw to action, and there was no way that they would stop intervening when injustices were taking place, even if they were no longer actively seeking it out.

With that, the two signed off, and the glowing image of Mon Mothma flickered out of existence.

Hera leaned back. It was good to be back on her ship after so long. More than good, actually. It had felt as if a part of her had been missing for all those weeks away, and now it had finally clicked back in place. She was home.

Kanan popped into the cockpit, two steaming cups in hand. He passed one of the cups to Hera, who looked at the light yellow, translucent and slightly sweet smelling liquid inside with question.

"What is this?" She brought the cup to her nose, inhaling the steam and catching notes of fruit and flowers.

"An herbal drink," Kanan explained, taking a long sip from his own cup and making a face. "Ahsoka recommended it. Apparently caf isn't good for the baby. It's not bad, but it's definitely going to take some getting used to."

Hera looked down at the cup again before taking an experimental sip. It was strange. Slightly grassy. But the aftertaste was fruity and overall not unpleasant. She hummed.

"You're right. I will miss my morning caf, though. How are the others settling back in?"

Kanan settled down into his seat, propping his feet up against the controls in that way that Hera always hated. It was a sight for sore eyes.

"Not too badly," he sighed. "Ezra tried to insist on taking back the top bunk, which led to a bit of an outburst, but we got through it. He's running through some conversation exercises with Sabine, now."

"And Sabine? Has she been able to move all of her things back in alright?" It had been especially difficult for her, the frequent moving between the Ghost and Mandalore that had taken place over the better part of the last year. Hera knew the guilt she felt, leaving her people once again. But Sabine had told Hera that she felt called to be here, and Hera knew better than to stand in her way when she set her mind to something.

"Yep, art supplies at all." Kanan shook his head, a smile pulling the corners of his lips. "I'm sure we'll be seeing a new mural by sunset."

Hera chuckled. Of course. It wouldn't be the Ghost without it.

""I'm assuming Ahsoka sent over the forged Chain Codes as well?"

"Right here," Kanan pulled out a disk, the stream of random numbers projecting into the air with the tap of his thumb. "I doubt we'll even need them, though. Ahsoka swears that the security on Saleucami has lightened up significantly after the Empire deemed it a low risk area."

Hera hummed in acknowledgement.

"Better to have them on hand, just in case. We shouldn't be too far out now. Maybe another quarter cycle?" Hera eyed the navigation controls, making sure that everything was still running smoothly.

Kanan wrapped his arms around Hera's shoulders from behind, leaning in and kissing her cheek. Hera smiled and turned towards him for the real thing.

"You know, I'm actually kind of excited?" Hera admitted. "This isn't where I expected life would take us, but so far nothing in my life has turned out anything close to what I expected." It was hard to have expectations at all when you've never lived a life outside of war. "I've always dreamed of what peace could look like. Maybe this is just the galaxy finally giving us a taste of what we've been fighting for?"

Kanan hummed, leaning in for another kiss.

"Our own little peace. I like the sound of that."