Week 3: The Princess Must Die

It had been a couple days since his conversation with Kizano, and every day he had shown up at the gymnasium every lunch.

He went there for a multitude of reasons, the main one being he wanted to make sure Kizano wasn't getting close to Taeko.

And well, today wasn't any different.

However, this time when he entered the large hall; everything was in disarray.

The once colourful flowers that decorated every inch of wall and pillar were ripped up and strewn across the floor, the bright banners and ribbons were destroyed and props were smashed.

He glanced around, his eyes meeting two familiar figures on the stage.

"Kizano... Taeko? What happened?" He asked as he made his way to them.

"Ah... Ayato, uh- we don't know what happened... the gym was just like this when we came in for rehearsals!" Taeko replied, head in hands.

"What sort of monster would destroy all of my hard work a day before the show?!" Kizano yelled, pacing back and forth on the stage with his fists tightened.

"And I have a feeling I know just who did this..." he whispered, his face contorting into utter hatred.

"Who?" Ayato asked plainly and Kizano suddenly looked at him, a smile on his face.

"Don't you worry your pretty little head! I'll make sure to have a talk with them..." he said in a cheery voice at him and Ayato clenched his fists at the words and tone.

"Alright... so what are you guys going to do about the play?" Ayato asked, staring at the disaster before him.

"Well, Kizano refuses to cancel the show..." Taeko mumbled before continuing,
"So we're going to try and fix what's left of this!" She smiled and Ayato felt his heart melt at the sight.

"It'd be great if you could help us..." she grinned, looking at him hopefully, and well- how could Ayato say no to the one he loves most?

"S..sure, I can help!" He replied, all too eager.
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
The three students had spent all lunch cleaning up the mess in the gymnasium which had dragged into after school hours, he'd have to apologise to Amao for missing club activities.

All the ripped up banners were taken down along with the remains of the flowers and ribbons, being replaced with fewer, but more beautiful, ribbons and balloons.

Ayato was currently sewing up the costumes that had been ripped, it seems not even the pretty outfits were spared.

His Mother had taught him to sew years ago, she always told him he'd need it someday but he never understood her meaning, but he guesses he understood now.

He was busy sewing Taeko's dress back up with the utmost care, in his own little world.
He hadn't even noticed the person that had plopped down right beside him.

"Hey, Ayato!" Ayato felt his soul leave his body and his face get red as Taeko got comfortable on her seat and grab a spare sewing kit and ripped up costume.

He managed to squeak out a little "hello" before Taeko continued with her next question.
"Are you doing okay? It's been a while and I bet you didn't expect to be doing this today..."

"It's... it's fine! I don't mind helping out, really." He whispered and Taeko patted him on the back with a grin.

"That's the spirit!" She mused.

The two then sat there in silence, Taeko peacefully sewing while Ayato felt like his heart was going a million miles a second.

He finished the pink dress with trembling fingers, putting it on the pile of finished clothes.

Ayato was about to grab another costume until he heard footsteps enter the backstage, he looked behind him and Taeko to see Kizano stood there, seemingly deep in thoughts as he stared at the two of them.

Kizano then made a coughing noise, causing Taeko to look back to see Kizano.

"Taeko? Can I speak to you about the play for a second?" He smiled, already beginning to walk off.

"Oh, sure! I'll be right back Ayato!" Taeko said as she got off of her seat and followed Kizano.

Ayato gave out a sigh of relief, he didn't know whether to thank Kizano or hate him for taking Taeko away.
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Kizano and Taeko sat on the stage, Kizano staring silently at the confused Taeko.

"So uhm, what did you need, Kizano?" She asked and Kizano cleared his throat.

He didn't get it, this was who Ayato liked?

What did she have that he didn't!?

He smiled at her,
"I've been thinking, how about we change the ending to this play?"

"Huh? What do you mean, Kizano?" She asked quizzically.

"I mean, romance has been done over and over again! Why don't we mix it up a little and do a tragedy?"

Taeko thought about it for a moment, before smiling and nodding her head,
"Sure! Let's do it!"
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
The gym was filled with people, the whole year sitting on blue plastic chairs and were excitedly waiting for the show to start.

Ayato sat near the front, wedged between Amao and Osano.

"Ah this is so exciting! It's been a while since I've seen a play!" Osano clasped his hands together and smiled, Amao nodding in agreement.

"What's this play actually meant to be about?" Amao asked as he scooted closer to Ayato.

"It's the classic 'the prince saves the princess and they fall in love' type." Osano answered.

Then the lights turned to black and all voices quieted to a hush.

Ayato felt a pressure on his palm, looking down to see Osano squeezing his hand as he stared at the stage.

He just let him, leaving Osano his hand to squeeze and chalking it up to Osano being excited for the play.

Suddenly, the red curtains opened and the lights to the stage turned on.

People in costumes came onto the stage but Ayato tuned them all out when he saw Taeko.

She was frankly, beautiful and he felt butterflies in his stomach just looking at her.

He couldn't take his eyes off of her, the way the dress flowed with her graceful movements and how she practically sang her lines.

Ayato had been so focused on Taeko that he hadn't realised how much time had actually passed, what brought him out of his stupor was the scene of Taeko getting stabbed by Kizano.

"I'm sorry, my dear. But it has to be this way..."

Taeko fell back, her back colliding with the wooden floor, sword under her shoulder.

"Huh...? I thought this was a romance?" He spoke up quietly.

"Oh, I forgot- Kizano made some sudden last minute changes to the play?" Osano explained, still half confused himself.

Ayato just quietly hummed.

Soon after, Taeko got up and the rest of the cast came onto the stage; they bowed in unison and the once silent audience erupted into cheers and claps.

Ayato's eyes never left Taeko, her smile suddenly putting him at some sort of unease.